1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Why is this member losing ducks with her LGD on duty? - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Goat with teeth knocked out?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by Robyn8, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Dec 20, 2018
    Robyn8

Robyn8 Loving the herd life

I think my goat has some knocked out teeth or injured jaw maybe? He’s very quiet which is super weird for him, and has bloody drool around his mouth. He wants to eat but it definitely looks like it hurts. There was also blood in the water bucket. I tried to get his mouth open to look but he screamed and the lighting is bad so I couldn’t totally tell but I think his two front teeth got knocked out. He doesn’t seem to be bleeding now though and there’s not a lot of blood around the barn. I’d think with a knocked out tooth there would be more blood around. I’m worried about how quiet he is. He seems like in shock or something. He just stands there and shakes his head once in a while. I’m going to try to get a better look tomorrow when I have someone to help and it’s light out. But if he did knock out some teeth there’s nothing we can really do for him right? Is there a pain med we can give him? Will he be able to eat ok once healed? He seemed to do better with grain than hay this evening. He’s a spoiled 8 month old bottle baby living with his brother (both wethers) and a couple Shetland sheep. He does play pretty rough with his brother so I could see how an injury could have happened.

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  2. Dec 20, 2018
    Robyn8

I just read online they can have aspirin at a rate of 1000mg per 20 lbs. anyone have any advice on that?

3. Dec 20, 2018
    Robyn8

I did some googling and now I think he might be teething. Does it sound like it to anyone? He’s acting quite sad. Should I give him some aspirin to help him out?

4. Dec 20, 2018
    Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Herd Master

I would not do the aspirin. Goats nibble, but do not really "teeth" the way puppies do.
    See how he looks later tonight and in the morning. If he is still having a rough time tomorrow I'd get him to the vet.

It's hard to say at this point, since we don't really know what the issue is.

Hope he starts doing better!

5. Dec 20, 2018
    Robyn8

Thanks! I’ll check on him tonight and if not better tomorrow I’ll take him to the vet. I was wondering if maybe he’s teething and bumped his teeth and they bled or something? I know my kids have done that while loosing teeth.

6. Dec 20, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

Maybe some teeth knocked out -- worse yet, he was butted and has a broken jaw. See? Vet needs to tell you what's wrong. Obviously, something is. I'm sorry. Let us know what goes....

7. Dec 20, 2018
    Robyn8

8. Dec 20, 2018
    goatgurl

goatgurl Herd Master

aspirin would help with the pain but I wouldn't give it. there is also a product you can get from a vet called banimine that is for pain but I doubt that he will need it. goats about that age do loose front teeth and he may have been butted or whacked himself some how. if he can chew grain then I would guess that his jaw isn't broken but wait till tomorrow and reevaluate him. he will be fine without a couple of front teeth and after the soreness is gone he should be able to eat just fine.

Robyn8 likes this.
  9. Dec 20, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Aspirin thins the blood, so generally not a good thing to give when there's bleeding. Especially if you don't know the source of the bleeding. You can also use Ibuprofen to ease pain in goats.
    https://fiascofarm.com/goats/medications.htm

Robyn8 likes this.
  10. Dec 20, 2018
    Robyn8

Just checked on him and he was laying down till he heard us. Still depressed but no active bleeding or swelling around the jaw. He is missing those two middle teeth but maybe that’s just a coincidence. I’ll take him to the vet unless he’s acting a lot better tomorrow. I don’t think his jaw is broken though cause there’s no swelling and although he didn’t like us opening his mouth, I think he’d have complained even more if it was broken. Thanks again for letting me bounce some ideas off you all!