Goat with teeth knocked out?

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He has so far refused all mash or wet food options and the hay cubes broken up into small pieces. I also tried giving him romaine lettuce and he refused. I could try the beet pulp though. Do you buy the shreds or pellets?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have taken hay and cut it into very small pieces for a sick goat, and she ate it....don't know if you have tried that or not but sure do wish you all the best. You are a great goat momma:thumbsup

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm sad to report my goat isn't doing too well. It looks to me like his jaw repair is falling apart. I'm pretty sure a fairly big piece of bone is sticking out of his gums. He was eating ok until today. And by ok I mean only sweet grain. But today he was less interested in his grain. We have an appointment to go back to the vet a week from Friday but I'm going to call today and try to get him in this week. It's not looking good and I'm leaning towards euthanasia at this point. I live in Michigan and we've had a mild winter so far but this weekend it's supposed to get frigid. I don't want to put him through that additional stress if he likely will continue to get worse. I'm hoping the vet can give me a clear indication on his prognosis and future quality of life. I don't mind giving him extra care long term if he seems pretty happy but I don't want him in pain for the rest of this life. The euthanasia decision is always hard for me so I'm hoping the vet will be straight with me.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
You know your animal better than anyone, I am so sorry the jaw surgery is falling apart. I commend you for all you have done for him, you have gone beyond what many could afford to do .....The kindest act we can do for a animal is set them free from their suffering.....sorry you have to make this decision, but as difficult and sad as it is I would do the same. ....:hugs wishing you better news at the vets.....

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you for the support! It's been a rough road for sure. I'm very attached to him because I bottle fed him, but I need to put his needs first. I have to keep reminding myself of this.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the support! It's been a rough road for sure. I'm very attached to him because I bottle fed him, but I need to put his needs first. I have to keep reminding myself of this.

I totally get it, my kids are my babies, but several months ago I had to put one down by myself in the barn. Never a easy decision for sure, but it is a act of selflessness to let them go and not suffer. I will be thinking of you all day :hugs....be kind to yourself, you will make the best decision, and we all support you....

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry you're having to go through this. Totally feel for you, but also for him. Aside from the constant pain, he can't eat right. :( I'm sure you'll make the right decision for him and follow through. As said, you've already gone way beyond where most others would have for him. :hugs

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The kindest act we can do for a animal is set them free from their suffering.....sorry you have to make this decision,

...and one of the hardest!! :hugs:hugs

There is this "chance" The wiring is holding but a sliver of bone is loose and coming out. I'm certain they will need to xray to determine but -- if not intact, probably will not end well.

We are all feeling your pain...BTDT. :(

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts! We’re hanging in there for now. He didn’t eat much today but seems in ok spirits otherwise. Still jumping on stuff and wanting attention. I made an appointment for Friday. I’m still thinking I’ll be having him euthanized but I guess we’ll see what the vet says.