Goat with teeth knocked out?

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Another update! When they did the surgery they found he had a pretty bad tongue laceration too in the very back. They sutured it it said it will make his recovery slower. I ended up leaving him at the hospital till Christmas Eve because the overnight fees were pretty cheap at that point and he needed a lot of care. They were syringe feeding and flushing his mouth 4 times a day, giving pain meds, antibiotics and thiamine. I’m continuing with all the care at home and he’s swallowing better today. He’s trying so hard to eat normal food and hay. I have a whole smorgasbord of options for him in his pen. Regular hay and grain, mashed hay and water, and those horse hay cubes broken up into tiny chunks. He has no interest in any of the mashs I offer but keeps trying with the hay and grains. I’m giving him critical care 4 times a day. He’s pooping and peeing pretty well and is pretty perky considering all the trauma. He’s jumping up on stuff again and wanting me to snuggle him. I think he’ll pull through for me. The vet seemed to think he should be eating on his own in a few days. we got amazing care at the veterinary teaching hospital. All the staff and students were great. And I swear they didn’t charge me for everything they should have. The surgeon even gave me her cell phone number in case I have questions. I may be biased cause it’s my alma mater lol, but so lucky to be close to them!

Anthony Sr.

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's great to read that the goat is doin well, and when I stopped laughing from the husband remark! I went and told my wife= she got a good laugh too, about the husband remark. She was happy to hear the goat is doing fine, hope y'all have a safe and Happy NeW yEAR !!

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just wanted to post another update in case anyone is interested. My little goat is doing pretty well. He’s drinking a lot better and is willing to eat the super yummy sweet grain. He refuses hay, hay pellets,boring non sweet grain, and anything mashed. I’m syringe feeding him still twice a day. I think eating the grain still hurts cause he shakes afterwards and sometimes his gums and bloody after eating . He’s much perkier but I still have him separate from the herd. It will be 3 weeks from surgery on Friday and the vet said to keep him separate 2-3 weeks so I think I’ll try putting him with the herd tomorrow. He is complaining more when alone in our garage so I take that as a good sign. I’m mostly worried his twin brother will try to play and head butt him but we’ll see how it goes. I’ve tried to let him visit the herd under supervision and he seems to just back down when his brother tries to play. Wish me luck tomorrow!

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
  1. DC67FDF3-B14A-46E0-873E-42E9CE6A6340.jpeg
    EA208897-A941-4F23-9121-CA206156E27D.jpeg
    DC67FDF3-B14A-46E0-873E-42E9CE6A6340.jpeg
    EA208897-A941-4F23-9121-CA206156E27D.jpeg
    Here are some pics of my goat (Dilly). I got him a coat cause he seemed unable to keep his body temp up at first . He kept shivering when outside. I take him outside to a fencing off corner of our pasture during the day. It has a little 3 sided house but he still seems to get cold out there. His coat seems to help. View attachment 56877 View attachment 56878

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad he’s doing better! I hope he starts eating on his own soon!

Just a reminder, keep a close eye out for a worm or coccidia bloom. With the stress he has gone through, and his young age it can set them up for a bloom. Checking his decal might be a good idea, since you don’t want anything slowing him down. (I imagine you already know this, but I’ll post it anyway)

You have really done a great job with him. You are one dedicated goat momma!

Robyn8

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Glad he’s doing better! I hope he starts eating on his own soon!

Just a reminder, keep a close eye out for a worm or coccidia bloom. With the stress he has gone through, and his young age it can set them up for a bloom. Checking his decal might be a good idea, since you don’t want anything slowing him down. (I imagine you already know this, but I’ll post it anyway)

You have really done a great job with him. You are one dedicated goat momma!

Thanks for the reminder! All poops are normal for now but I’ll keep an eye out. I know I’m going a lot further than most goat owners would but we only have the 2 bottle babies so they are more like outside dogs to us. Plus I was a vet tech in my former career so the extra care is not too much of a burden for me. Thanks so much for all the kids words of support! They really do help!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a cutie -- love his coat!

He probably is chilled without the carbs & hay he was used to. I'd try to get some kind of fiber in his and I know it must be sore to chew! No grass this time of year.

Have you considered beet pulp moistened with warm water? Mine will run over me to get to it!:D You can get it with molasses. He might need the few extra calories from that. You could slip a small handful of Alfalfa pellets in it...just to give some extra protein. While this may not be an ideal diet, he will get some fiber. Super fine grass hay, cut short, moistened, he may be able to eat. Sprouts? They are available at the grocery.

Updates? Absolutely we want them :):love:clap We care.