Goat won’t let other goat eat

Owen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So I have to goats and when they go to eat hay the one will just stand off to the side. I think what is happening is the other one won’t let him eat and he keeps knocking him away.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are they both male?....how old?....are they wethered?....how long have they been together?....from the information given it is difficult to attempt to give ya an answer....:)

MMWB

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Mine are all weathers, so with that in mind; they will have a hierarchy. Some will tolerate others eating with them, others won't. When the one is full, it'll probably want to rest. The other can eat then. A larger or separate feeder may help too, but sometimes the dominant goat will chase the others off, no matter what. As long as they all eat, I wouldn't worry about some having to wait. Its how they do things.

Sasmith

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If you only have 2 one simple inexpensive solution we used is to put in a post or 2x4 in the middle of the hay feeder screw a pallet to it then put in another post on the other end. Basically just divide the feeder

Sasmith

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
IMG_20170926_192011.jpg

Sasmith

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That's probably a little more in depth than you need but it probably cost less than $100 to put together and made feeding g and milking time a breeze

Laura Bradley

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I simply go in the pen and tie up the larger goat for a short amount of time while the little one eats. Then I let the larger one loose and basically have them fight over each other.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score

CrazyFarmers

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Mine do this too!!! I had to put the feeders on opposite sides of their pen and they run back and fourth swapping places every couple minutes until they are done eating... I don't want to have to seperate them just to feed them and this way they both eat and get some exercise lol oddly enough my dogs do the same thing with their food too lol

Latest posts