Goatgurl - life goes on at someday farm

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your chicken breeding program sounds interesting, keep us posted on it!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ducks can do fine with a pool, and some don't have any water other than drinking. Runners are very comical and really sweet, but they are skittish, or flighty as most refer to them. A Khaki Campbell is a cross between a Rouen and Runner. We can see more runner in some that we have and they are priceless. Runners are suppose to be really good foragers too.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never had runners but I did have a flock of khaki campbells and I really didn't like them very much. they were wild as march hares where as my muscovies are tame to the point of being pests. and the reason I got them was because of dd's alpha gal allergy and after she got better I've just kept them because I like them.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had runner crosses. They were cool! DH is apparently allergic to duck eggs so we sold the last few we had that survived the Fisher attack. Every time I went outside they came running!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have never had a problem with them or the rouens, they will come up and eat grass right out of our hands and come running anytime we enter their pen. They are the first ducks we've ever had and we love them.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
lucky you, mine were so flighty. didn't have a problem getting rid of them. @CntryBoy777 as I have been reading everyones journals i saw the pictures of you and dw with your grandkids. made me smile. treasure your time with them and teach them how to be cntry kids too.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We always try @goatgurl , we get the boys for a wk or two in the summer and they are still at the age that they like being here. I was told that the oldest....10yrs...wants me to teach him how to rig his own pole, catch fish, learn how to fillet them like I do, cook them and eat them. PawPaw makes the best fish of any. So, I guess I have my work cut out for me, this yr.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know that I wander off and on here till youall can't keep up with me but i'm still alive and kicking. lots of things going on here. first, there is a new boy in town. youall say hi to marco. sorry but for some reason I can't upload pics. Katie has another maremma to help with her guard duties. he was raised with sheep but the goats are a learning curve. he is a sweetie who has a big deep bark. so far so good.
as you know @Devonviolet and @Latestarter both made the trip from texas to Arkansas to get some of my girls to take home with them. Makes my heart sad because my barnyard is so quiet now but also makes my heart glad because I know that each and everyone of them will be well taken care of. now spot the flying pig is a whole other thing all together. on one level you kind of want to laugh because who'd a thought it but on the other level it is really sad for spot and latestarter too. I've put out an apb for her with the folks who live in that area but haven't heard anything. I've had my goats and sheep locked in the pen for days and left all my gates open but if the fall didn't kill her then i'm guessing she is enjoying her freedom to much to want to come back. guess it's time to close the gates so the girls can go walkabout.
@NH homesteader, I was going to show you and @Baymule some pics of the dark Cornish x chickens but the darn site won't post pics for some reason. they are growing like weeds. i'll keep trying to post the pics. I also saw your question about the NH red chickens and the ones I've had I really liked. they would lay for years. they'd take a little time off in the winter but started back laying in the spring and go all year long again. I had some that were 4-5 years old that still laid well. have you gotten your chicks from Murry McMurry yet? I've bought from them off and on since the '70's, yes, i'm that old. lol. and I've always had good luck with their birds. some of the rir's I have now that are 3 years old are from them. I'm suppose to quit buying chicks from places like TS, atwoods and the co-op because you can never be sure what they say they have is truly what you get. you'd think I would learn but I bought 4 ee pullets from my local feed store this spring and one of them turned out to be a roo. now 1 roo shouldn't make me gripe but when you consider that 1 roo is 25% of the lot that's not so good. and I don't need another darned rooster. oh well...
youall be blessed, i'm going out between rains and do a little transplanting of veggies and flowers.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know @goatgurl , with LS and DV having your girls, it is like an "Extension" of your "Yard" and ya are so spread out ya had to hire "Overseers" to tend to all that ya have. Ya even can keep up with them thru their "Reports and Pics"....if LS ever learns to use his camera....:gig.....so, since it is a bit quieter there, they are just over yonder in the "Yard" and ya can't hear or see them....but, they are there. Ya trained them to teach LS and DV about dairy goats, and they are doing their "Job"....:)
It really is bad all the way around about ole spot girl, the initial facts will make ya chuckle, but all have really lost in that deal....all the way around....I guess the only good thing about it is we all have learned that it certainly is Possible, even to the best of us and always have room to Learn.