Goatgurl - life goes on at someday farm

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I tell ya GG, if looking and reading about the fencing makes ya tired....ya can just imagine just how tired it makes me Feel....:)
I've taken a break from it for a bit, but with the heat coming in....I have to get back at it. I have 2 more pulls in the sun, and the other 3 are in the shade.
Your little ones are just adorable, and so is your mountain...we watch Bob Ross at 3pm on our PBS station on Sundays....still...:)

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule I have 4 ewes and a eweling to breed next fall. that's the main reason I don't keep a ram full time. my 4 ewes and dstr@1's 4 ewes aren't really worth keeping one when it is so easy to lease a good one and lots cheaper in the long run. since I started this just to provide lamb for my self that is actually 2 more than I need but you know how it is when baby girls are born. ya just want to keep them to see how they'll turn out and then when they turn out good well ya just have to go ahead and keep them. it's even worse with goats.
boy did dstr@1 and I had a problem yesterday. and Baymule i blame you for it. first let me apologize to all you guys out there who will be cringing in your seats soon. i've been castrating baby bucks by banding for many, many years and have never once had one get infected or have any other kind of problem but one of sister#1's baby bucks had a very short, thick scrotum and when we tried to band him we were concerned that we wouldn't get "everything" we were after if we banded him and decided to let him grow a bit more to see if they would drop better. two weeks later, nope... he became rather obnoxious so sister#1 decided that we should cut him like Baymule did @Devonviolet's baby woody. all good nurses know that you see one, do one and teach one and after all we are good nurses and we had seen baymule do woody she figured we could do it with no problems. haaa.!! after we had the bottom of his scrotum off we couldn't find his testes because of all the fat surrounding them. finally dug deep enough to find one and started to pull only to find that the cord holding his jewel was about the thickness of a pencil and hard as heck to try to pull out. lots of screaming and crying from both sister#1 and the poor baby. with teste #1 finally out time to go back in for #2. poor baby! with #2 out we had to incise the fat wads out of his scrotum to keep it from hanging out the bottom so it would close. I know lots of you do the snip and pull but I think that was my first and last time. next time a kid with a short fat scrotum comes along he is just going to go live somewhere else.
baby ducks are due this coming weekend. right now I have 2 ducks and 2 hens sitting in the hen house. 2 hens and 2 more ducks sitting under the out building. if they all hatch i'm going to be covered in poultry soon. one more ewe to lamb and then i'm done for the year.
golf ball sized tomatoes in the garden, all is good.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
words just seem inadequate... OUCH!! :sick:barnie But at least you got it done. Hope he heals up w/no issues.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My mom was a Bob Ross fan and she learned to do oil painting from his videos; she was already a pastel artist. My memory of Bob Ross..."there is no such things as mistakes, just happy little accidents".

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule d
he became rather obnoxious so sister#1 decided that we should cut him like Baymule did @Devonviolet's baby woody. all good nurses know that you see one, do one and teach one and after all we are good nurses and we had seen baymule do woody she figured we could do it with no problems. haaa.!! after we had the bottom of his scrotum off we couldn't find his testes because of all the fat surrounding them. finally dug deep enough to find one and started to pull only to find that the cord holding his jewel was about the thickness of a pencil and hard as heck to try to pull out. lots of screaming and crying from both sister#1 and the poor baby. with teste #1 finally out time to go back in for #2. poor baby! with #2 out we had to incise the fat wads out of his scrotum to keep it from hanging out the bottom so it would close. I know lots of you do the snip and pull but I think that was my first and last time. next time a kid with a short fat scrotum comes along he is just going to go live somewhere else.
Wow! What a nightmare! I don't blame you and your sister, from swearing off cut & pull castration! I know when DH & I did our Linden, after doing one off @Baymule's ram lambs, I found some fatty tissue in the sack, and had to push it back up inside several times, before it stayed put. In your situation, I would have been tempted to take some embroidery floss (heavy silk thread) and a needle, and do one or two stitches, which I would go back later and clip after the opening healed. I know in the heat of the moment, you weren't about to stop and go in the house to find a needle & thread. However, in the future, I'm thinking I will keep a needle & red silk thread***, so I have it available in an emergency.
*** I would use red, so it would be easy to see it, when I go back to remove the stitches a week later.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! What a nightmare! I don't blame you and your sister, from swearing off cut & pull castration! I know when DH & I did our Linden, after doing one off @Baymule's ram lambs, I found some fatty tissue in the sack, and had to push it back up inside several times, before it stayed put. In your situation, I would have been tempted to take some embroidery floss (heavy silk thread) and a needle, and do one or two stitches, which I would go back later and clip after the opening healed. I know in the heat of the moment, you weren't about to stop and go in the house to find a needle & thread. However, in the future, I'm thinking I will keep a needle & red silk thread***, so I have it available in an emergency.
*** I would use red, so it would be easy to see it, when I go back to remove the stitches a week later.

Did you wrap the cord around your finger? Then pull? Also if you cut the scrotum too high you will have issues. You only want to cut that thick piece at the bottom. They should with pressure just pop out the bottom... never had to go up in. Is it possible they were not fully dropped? Best to do at 8 weeks... if they are 12 weeks it is much harder.