Goatgurl - life goes on at someday farm

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
well I got the puddin' scared out of me night before last. fed everybody out and around the place, noticed that Katie was playing with her puppies and basically thought 'how sweet is that' and since it was colder than a well diggers pick I went on back in the house while I could still feel my nose and settled in to get warm. a bit later I thought that I should go out and check to make sure all of the pups had gone back into their calf hutch and gone to bed, colder than blue blazes I took a quick run out to check and nope I was missing 3 pups and the two left at home were whining and crying. I started looking everywhere they might be and failed miserably before my flashlight died. came back in the house to warm up and get the light recharged and did a lot of prayin'. no puppies in any of the 3 calf hutches, no puppies in the goat side or the hay side of the barn, no body in the dog house, no one in the chicken house and no one around my house or outbuildings or around str#3's house. by this time I was frozen, it was 4 degrees out. came back in to warm up a little and do a lot more praying and headed back out. checked in the hay around both round bales and that little voice said go check the chicken house again, for the 3rd time I might add, and there were 3 little brown puff balls, yes they are suppose to be white but they were brown from playing in the loose chicken dust. I was so grateful to God that they were safe and sound, bundled them up and took them home to mom and siblings. they all cuddled up and did fine but it took a hot shower and a big cup of hot tea before I warmed up. I do have to say that between that giant moon and my flashlight the grass and hay looked like it had a million sparkly diamonds scattered around the goat yard. it was beautiful in a frozen glittery way. 2x4 panel gate was closed so there would be no more escapes. Katie wasn't happy to be locked in with all of them but I didn't care. dang dogglets!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh that WAS scary! You did what all of us would have done, freeze your butt off until you found them! I am so happy that you found them and returned them safe and sound back to Mom.

So......their names will be Chicken House, Snowstorm and Chicken Sh!t?

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
yes they do @Goat Whisperer, yes they do. I think its a game with them. @frustratedearthmother I had visions of them dying of hyperthermia because it was so cold that night. and actually @Baymule I called them several names that might not stay with them as they get older. I was freaking out but Katie didn't seem concerned at all. I called her a name or 2 too.
on a lighter note today str#1 gave emma a new little jacket to wear outside to do chores because at 15 lbs its hard for her to stay warm and she will not stay in the house. she is my shadow and protector. she very proudly wore her jacket out to the barn tonight. I heard little growly snappy noises and looked over to where she was and saw her dangling up in the air hanging out of marco's mouth by the top of her jacket. I laughed so hard that I almost had tears running down my legs. I asked him nicely to put her down and when he did she jumped up and bit his nose. he just couldn't figure out why she was so upset. totally priceless to see her so mad at him and him without a clue why. I love my dogs big and small

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It just always seems they pick the toughest weather to test your dedication to their care in....sure glad it all turned out okay.....these bone chilling temps have sure been tough on us here too....I touched the clasp on the gate the other nite and my skin stuck to it....figers were already numb giving ducks some warm water.