Goatgurl - life goes on at someday farm

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Naw @Bruce , I just poured the remaining water in the bucket I had taken to the ducks on it....dried it off on my pants and ski-daddled back inside to the propane heater....with froze, numb fingers of course....:)

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
dang @CntryBoy777 that's kind of like sticking your tongue to the flag pole. ouch!! mot much new going on here. thank the Lord that things have actually thawed out. I wasn't sure I would make it thru much more of the bucket brigade. you just don't think about how much water all those critters drink when it comes so easily out of a hose but dragging two 5 gallon buckets at a time is kind of hard on fluffy old women.
and @greybeard and anyone else who might have an answer, someone who shall remain nameless forgot and left the water hose on the outside spigot one night and the next morning it was frozen solid. after the thaw it now has 2 pin holes that spray out the side of the thing up on the side of the top. any way to fix that or just live with the holes? btw it is one of those winter faucets like someone posted on latestarters thread. thought about smearing some J-B weld on the side but wanted youalls opinion first.
only lost 2 chicks to the 2-4* weather. i'm totally amazed that the old hen kept them going as well as she has. the pig is suppose to come home tomorrow all shrink wrapped and pretty. I was so grateful that he was gone and I didn't have to deal with him during this cold spell we've had. later youall

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
normally our weather follows yours by 12 to 24 hours and we are suppose to get cold again too. I can deal with the cold nights if the days are bearable. changing the bunny water 2 or 3 times a day got old as did carrying buckets to the goats and sheeple but as someone I once was married to use to say "ya gotta be tougher than the timber you cut". I guess so??? after I went and bought the new ram my ewes have started getting a little wiggly in the udder department in the last week or so. dang, anybody want to buy a nice ram? I've got some goat udders that are getting a little wiggly too. can't wait for babies.
I just keep looking at seed catalogs and dreaming of warmer weather, not hot mind you, just warmer.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't lose any skin, thankfully....but used gloves to clasp the gates until it warmed up....:lol:.....I use a brass clasp thru the latch on that gate and not having to deal witb temps like that much it just wasn't on my mind. I'm not sure about the mending of the pipe, but JB does make a marine epoxy that sets even when wet....I used some on an aluminum boat I have and it did fine....but, with pressure on it I don't know if it would hold....but if ya do mend it be sure to insulate it....cause with a hole already there it could split much bigger if the integrity of the metal has been compromised. I hate toting water too....just for the record. I'm thinking of a solution for next year....if we stay here....:)

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
well i gotta tell ya, the floating salt water bottles didn't work worth a darn but I guess asking water not to freeze at 4* is asking a lot. still don't know anything about staying or going? that stinks. i'll just keep praying Gods will.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
the pig is suppose to come home tomorrow all shrink wrapped and pretty.
:lol::lol::lol: You can make anything sound pretty!

dreaming of warmer weather, not hot mind you, just warmer
I hear ya!

We did have to put a lamp up for the bunnies, they are dwarf rabbits but it was so cold they hung in there til just those last days... too many days in a row - water gave out too.
They did great with a tarp up and a lamp.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That bottle in the water only worked here till it got down under 20 but even only worked then when I put fresh water in before dark. That way I was able to break the thin skin of ice in the morning and add fresh water so basically the bottle did nothing after it got cold and stayed there.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My "good intender" but ignorant of real farm life brother in law sent me the water bottle thing on facebook. When it stays below freezing for days and days, the water bottle doesn't work, I didn't waste my time on it.

Latest posts