Goatgurl - life goes on at someday farm

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
thanks @Mike CHS and @Wehner Homestead . have had a good year. all the ewes had big healthy twins except a ff and she had a single eweling. all the does kidded with twins also mostly buck/doe sets, one set of twin doelings and two single doelings out of ff's. now the hard part, I have to decide who I want to keep and who goes on down the road. my old ewe had a single last year and I had already said that if she singled this year she would be replaced but she had a really nice set of twins of got to re think that. goats have freshened with lots of milk and beautiful udders and lots of baby girls so that's going to be hard to decide too.
your critters are really looking good too. and thor is just such a boy dog. he's sure growing and looking so handsome.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You used a white Dorper this year didn't you? How so you like him?

Last year I set duck eggs in the incubator, but only got two to hatch. Then a duck went broody, AFTER they all quit laying! Really? Dumb duck.......grumble grumble.....

So when I saw that they were laying, I didn't gather the eggs. I checked a few days ago and there was this nice feather lined nest and a few days after that, I have a setting duck!!!

I suppose I should butcher the drake I hatched out to see if we even like the duck meat.

BTW, the 3 chocolate ducks I got from you liked the big white drake instead of the chocolate drake.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The chocolate drake, the one I wanted and the one the girls rejected, was dead this afternoon. He hasn't been acting sick or different, so I don't know why I found him dead. Reckon, since it's mating season, that the ugly white drake killed him? The white drake and the girls stand in a circle, bobbing their heads, making little noises and talking to each other. Chocolate drake was not invited.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can’t like that. Sorry for your loss Bay. Hoping it wasn’t some illness that could bother the rest of your flock (?).

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can’t like that. Sorry for your loss Bay. Hoping it wasn’t some illness that could bother the rest of your flock (?).
I don't know. All the rest of them are ok. Only thing I could figure out is that he was the odd drake out, it's mating season and maybe the other drake beat him up badly enough that he died.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
bummer @Baymule. wonder what happened to mr duck. hopefully that nest full of eggs will provide you with a replacement or two. and yes you need to eat that drake, why raise them if you don't like the way they taste. str#1 ran over one of my drakes last week and we debreasted him, marinated him over night and enjoyed the heck out of him. I've got ducks sitting everwhere. 2 in the hen house, 1 in the hay side of the goat barn, 1 next to the back door and 3 under the outbuildings. if they all hatch i'm going to be covered up in ducklings. a friend of mine gave me a dozen African goose eggs to hatch and I stuffed them under 2 ducks too. can't wait to see if they hatch too. my ducks gather in groups too and bob their heads and hiss at one another. drake fights on a daily basis. I also have an incubator full of chicken eggs too. hope to have a good hatch from them. some black marans, black maran X speckled Sussex, maran X silver laced Wyandotte. going to be an interesting mix i'm thinkin'.

Latest posts