Goatgurl - life goes on at someday farm

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
forgot to tell you bay, I bought the white dorper when I thought the ram I had was not doing his job, bad on me, I guess he was just bashful, never saw him so much as sniff a ewe much less try to breed one but low and behold all of the ewes lambed without a problem. all twins except one single from a ff. lots of spots and chocolate babies. mr dorper is at str#1's house waiting for fall so he can have a turn. moral of the story is check closer before you leap I guess.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
it's been a while so I thought I'd try and catch up on everyone. gonna take a while. and be picture heavy too. but since youall love pictures that shouldn't be a problem.
on the family front, the good news is that str#3 finally moved into her own house about 5 miles from here, woot!! the bad news, my dd and sil moved into the empty house to "take care of me". thought they would drive me nuts, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. other good news, sil has since accepted a position in Washington state so they moved there a couple of weeks ago.;) all is quiet on the hill except for me and the critters and I like it that way.
animal wise took 5 lambs to the sale last week and made a nice profit on them. was glad to see them go. that's the last time i'll listen to @Baymule and @Mike CHS and leave the ram lambs intact so they grow better, they about drove me and every sheep and goat I have nuts with their boyish ways. oh and yes they did grow better but all that humping just wasn't worth it to me.
poultry wise the young pullets from this spring are growing like weeds and looking quite lovely. this year I got RIR, black australorps, silver laced wyandottes, golden laced wyandottes, barred rocks and brown leghorns. a colorful group indeed. the muscovey's are laying and sitting up a storm and i'm almost covered up in baby ducks. 4 big hatches so far and 2 more sitting on big clutches right now. its almost impossible to drive up my driveway because of the swarm that meets me coming and follows me going. they make me smile. almost forgot, because I don't have enough to take care of I also got a few guinea keets too. i'll let youall know if they really do eat fire ants.
garden is doing ok, tomatoes, squash, cukes and peppers are doing well, peas, beets and carrots, not so much.
@Latestarter I think this time your pig really has made it home, floppy ears and the spots are in the right places. she has grown really nicely and has some approx. 100# youngsters with her. you're more than welcome to come catch them and take them home. also is a hog on the game cam that looks like @Baymule's herefords. I would like to get him in my sights, I bet he woud be some good eating. and a big dark colored bobcat IMG_2197 (2).JPG IMG_2260 (2).JPG IMG_2256 (2).JPG .

@CntryBoy777 this pic is for you, seeing gabbys picture with her frisbee made me think of JJ and her ball, a little worse for wear but she still brings it to me to throw.IMG_0952.JPG IMG_2219.JPG and have to add emma 'cause she is so cute. she is starting to show her age a little, getting hard of hearing and a little stiffer and slower but she's going on 15 so she's allowed.
youall be blessed and i'll catch you later.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sure sounds like ya have your hands full over there....and even more on the way.....JJ looks like she has really enjoyed the ball and could be in line for a newer one....;)....sweet little Emma may have some issues, but she still looks vibrant. I know it is pleasing to see such colors meandering around the yard and their help with any bugs. Don't push yourself too much in the heat, but glad ya are staying busy.....:)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You love to see them coming and love to see them MOVE on! LOL We live 7 miles from our DD, her husband and 3 girls. If they lived here on our place, we'd ALL be nuts! :lol:

Hey, I'm not going to leave ram lambs intact again either. I kept one for a flock sire for 1 or 2 lambings. I sold the other 2 because I didn't want to put up with them any longer! LOL From now on, it's off with their nuts and they better behave themselves! :gig

@Latestarter 's pig looks good! LS, maybe you could go "hog hunting" and come home with a couple of ice chests of meat!

I want to know if guineas eat Fahr Aints! :thumbsup

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mike CHS it wasn't that the ram lambs were bothering me or were getting mean it's just that they were riding everything they could catch, hormones gone wild. it was just to annoying to put up with. you know I just had to giggle just a little when I read about you zapping yourself again. maybe you should train thor to guard you from yourself. I see your blackberries and raise you a bucketful. I wish I could say they were some I raised but actually the neighbor has some beautiful bushes. cobbler in my future i'm thinkin'. IMG_2381 (1).JPG .
Mother nature gave me a gentle reminder today about how things work. if you are mowing in the goat pen and you run over several stinging nettle clumps and the wind blows all those tiny cuttings back on you they still sting where they hit your skin. and while you are mowing said goat pen and purposely run over a fire ant mound and the mower blows dirt and ants up and the wind blows them back on you they are pretty ticked off and will sting you as soon as they get a chance. Benadryl and a cool shower for me. i'll try to remember that next time. @Baymule i'm sure hoping those guineas eat the heck out of fhar ants.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mother nature gave me a gentle reminder today about how things work. if you are mowing in the goat pen and you run over several stinging nettle clumps and the wind blows all those tiny cuttings back on you they still sting where they hit your skin. and while you are mowing said goat pen and purposely run over a fire ant mound and the mower blows dirt and ants up and the wind blows them back on you they are pretty ticked off and will sting you as soon as they get a chance. Benadryl and a cool shower for me.
Yikes! Hope you get some relief.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cobbler sure sounds good to me.....and a scoop or 2 of some homemade ice cream with it would be Wonderful!!....:drool....not real sure about guineas and fahr ants, but those khaki campbells sure put an end to several hills before they left. I have to use a mulching mower to cut portions of the yard, because it is full of poison ivy and keeping it on the ground instead of airborn sure saves a ton of scratching and being daubbed with calamine lotion......:)