Goatherd in Upstate NY Says Hi & Thanks!

ADK_Moxie

Just born
Reaction score
Hi All! I live and work on a goat & sheep dairy - along with milking, I work primarily with kids, lambs, and LGD pups. Our herd is mixed breed - we've got pretty much one of everything as far as goats go - and the small flock of sheep (~70) is East Friesian. We also have a sanctuary for infirm and 'retired' animals. I'm lucky enough to be a full-time farmer, so I'm sure I will have plenty of questions... and hopefully some answers.

Thrilled to have joined up to be a part of this *goldmine* of info! I hope my own experience can help others the way some of these discussions have already helped me. Thanks to all who have posted!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @ADK_Moxie from the front range in Colorado :frow :welcome Upstate NY must be starting to get a bit chilly by now. Are you in an area that deals w/lake effect snow? Gosh, if you're already a full time farmer with sheep and goats and LGDs, and running a dairy... You'll become another main source here and I'm sure we'll welcome you and your help/experience/input! Glad to have you here! I know I spend about 1/2 my day here doing :caf & :pop! How long have you been doing the dairy?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
A big howdy and welcome from the Great Lone Star State, where the stars at night are big and bright! Sit a spell, grab yourself a beverage from yonder table and shoo the cat off the chair, taint his anyway. It will be very interesting to hear your perspective, as a full time dairy person, on the posts here. I'm sure your experience will make you another very valuable resource. Can't have too many goatie and sheep lovers here.

What? No chickens?

Glad you found us!

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Greetings from the Goldy Show Hens. This place is very helpful and we have many people that know a lot about goats

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from northeast Texas! I'm a sheeple, just got 4 ewes after years of "wanting". :lol: Delighted to have you here, I am sure that you will be a valuable asset to BYH and a great help to the members here. Do you make cheese from your goat/sheep milk?

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A big Palmetto State welcome! (For those who don't know, that's South Carolina.;)) Take off your shoes and dive right in! The water's fine. And the folks here are AWESOME! WELCOME!!!

My DH is from Erie PA, so we know all about "lake-effect snow", @Latestarter.:D

btw, @ADK_Moxie, you'll see DH etc. a lot. That's Dear Husband (Dear Son-DS, and so on).

edit to add: @Baymule , mmm, cheese, cheese good...

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NC! :frow

So nice to have you :) We would love to hear more about your farm.

So how do you like the dairy sheep VS dairy goats? I love my dairy does but I don't think I could handle milking sheep LOL.

I would love to start a goat dairy someday!

Everyone here love pictures, so don't be afraid to show off your critters!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! I have a very small flock of Icelandic sheep, and I hand milked mine for a few months this past summer. Mine is for cheese for me, and soap to sell.

What do you do with the sheep milk?

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What does sheep milk taste like? Is it more like goat, cow, or yak? I've never had yak milk, but I understand it has a very high butterfat content. I guess due to the weather where they live. High butterfat=lots of insulation to protect baby!

Latest posts