Goats and chickens

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello!
I have a fenced area for my goats and a chicken run for my chickens(I only have 4 chickens and 2 goats). I was thinking about letting my chickens roam around the goats fenced area a couple hours a day. Just to give them some more room. Is there any reason why the chickens cannot be out and about with the goats? Anything I should know before hand?
My chickens are 10 weeks old.

Thanks!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I put my extra roosters in the goat pens and have had no problems. The goats mostly ignore the roosters. The roosters will get up on the goats back but then roosters like to get up on things. Goats don't seem to mind.

I have a corner of the pens set up so only the roosters can get in to get their chicken feed. Goats would love the chicken feed but then would get sick, bloated from the feed so they are fenced out of that corner. But it sounds like you won't be feeding the chickens in the same area as the goats so you don't need to worry about feed.

Some folks worry about chickens roosting in the hay racks. I have not had a problem with that.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a corner of the pens set up so only the roosters can get in to get their chicken feed. Goats would love the chicken feed but then would get sick, bloated from the feed so they are fenced out of that corner.
That is really the only issue.

And goats can get crazy good at squeezing through pop doors, and climbing fence.... well, you know.

But as long as the goats can't eat the chicken feed, all good.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I put my extra roosters in the goat pens and have had no problems. The goats mostly ignore the roosters. The roosters will get up on the goats back but then roosters like to get up on things. Goats don't seem to mind.

I have a corner of the pens set up so only the roosters can get in to get their chicken feed. Goats would love the chicken feed but then would get sick, bloated from the feed so they are fenced out of that corner. But it sounds like you won't be feeding the chickens in the same area as the goats so you don't need to worry about feed.

Some folks worry about chickens roosting in the hay racks. I have not had a problem with that.
Awesome thanks! The only thing the chickens will have access is water. The goats may or may not be in there with them. I wanted to make sure there were no issues if they were together.

Jrios

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Awesome thanks! The only thing the chickens will have access is water. The goats may or may not be in there with them. I wanted to make sure there were no issues if they were together.
Mine don't mind. I have 3 female goats and 2 fixed male sheep and 9 chickens. I keep the coop door closed when the sheep are eating (in the round pen where the coop is.) The sheep then go out to the main pasture with the goats, and sometimes a few hens go out there as well. All one big family!