goats and coyotes?

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you know coyotes are a problem in your area, you might want to consider a good livestock guardian dog. An Anatolian Shepherd can easily kill a coyote or anything else that bothers your goaties.

RockyPhoenix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i was thinking of buying our neighbors bernese mountain dog! hes huge, good with people but idk bout goats yet lol

MonsterMalak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It has been my experience over the past 25 years that coyotes will do just about anything to get a meal. They may watch at first, and build up their confidence. But it will be a matter of time before the feast starts.

Even with LGD's, the coyotes will be keeping check. Loose a dog, and they will come in within days.

Most LGD breeds will work under normal pressure. But if the pressure is heavy, you might want to explore some of the Turkish breeds. They have a more proactive predator removal method of operation. I raise Kangals and Boz Shepherd Guregh.

Good luck!!!

MissDanni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
There are plenty of coyotes around here but we don't have any troubles with them. They generally don't want to be where humans are, however in the dead of winter when food is scarce they do make exceptions around here.

The areas where we are regularly have never seen any coyote activity, we only find prints and poop in the places on the property that we rarely are.

All our goats get shut in at night, but our ducks and some chickens run free all the time. The only trouble we do have is a sly little fox that we have been trying to trap now for a month.

This will sound gross but we have found that male urine seems to help. Yep that's right, get some men to pee around outside. Not sure why, but it works for us.

Keep in mind though that animals are conditioned to their location, surroundings and experience. The way my coyotes act may be completely different from yours.

Best of luck to you!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
MissDanni said:
This will sound gross but we have found that male urine seems to help. Yep that's right, get some men to pee around outside. Not sure why, but it works for us.
The human urine thing is simply the scent of humans. It tends to work on certain animals. Male urine is stronger than female which is why it is most often suggested.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
MissDanni said:
The human urine thing is simply the scent of humans. It tends to work on certain animals. Male urine is stronger than female which is why it is most often suggested.
We have lost small animals over the three years we have been here but not sure if it was to dogs or coyotes, we hear coyotes all the time but they do not venture close to our house very often to our knowledge and I've never seen one on our property.

Hubby does "pee" around the place intentionally and we let our dogs urinate all around and I do believe the coyotes know this is our territory.

*knocks on wood, crosses fingers and says prayer*

Latest posts