Goats and dog collars

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry it's so frustrating - and sorry if I added to that frustration. If that was to be their only home then a few more sq. feet wouldn't hurt at all....but if it's just the area that you want them to spend a couple of days in to clear an area, it would be ok. For some reason I thought you would be bringing them to a barn/shed for the night. So, add two more panels so that it's 32 x 16.

I raised and showed pygmy goats for years and had many permanent pens that were 32 x 16. In fact, I still have those pens. I rotate full size goats through them now. I can't see that you'd need electric in conjunction with a stock panel. I can't imagine that a ND would clear that fence. In all the years I've had goats (30 +) I've only had one goat clear a stock panel and that was/is a HUGE Nubian buck.

But, you might be making the right decision if you don't want to have to mess with moving a pen when they've cleared out that area. Goats can't hardly be beat for doing a brush clearing job - but they aren't for everyone.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Go back to square one, get the cattle panels, move them weekly, supplement with local hay and some goat pellets, put the goats in a safe closed shelter at night, ...if your neighbors are that good at watching out for predators, and your dog can watch the goats while outside...you are much better off than tieing them out and getting tangled or strangled or eaten up by dogs or coyotes...at least you were being responsible and trying to protect your livestock.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Go back to square one, get the cattle panels, move them weekly, supplement with local hay and some goat pellets, put the goats in a safe closed shelter at night, ...if your neighbors are that good at watching out for predators, and your dog can watch the goats while outside...you are much better off than tieing them out and getting tangled or strangled or eaten up by dogs or coyotes...at least you were being responsible and trying to protect your livestock.
I like this one the best.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Go back to square one, get the cattle panels, move them weekly, supplement with local hay and some goat pellets, put the goats in a safe closed shelter at night, ...
GO BACK TO SQUARE ONE? Dear, I never LEFT square one! I'm cautious. I never even think about going to square two until I already know what I'll be doing at square 12! :lol:
Something I've never touched on before. Because I've had to many questions. But I have what I think is adequate nighttime protection. One of the most secure and well maintained things on the place. Formerly a dog kennel. 6 ft chain link, completely covered (with wire, not solid), I believe its 12 X 12 (but I need to re-measure, could be 10 X 10). Even the bottom of the wire is in concrete. All I need to add is a weather tight sleeping shed, a hay rack (and maybe some toys). Even the food and water containers are sufficient. Not withholding information. It just wasn't pertinent specifically to the questions I was asking.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The cattle panels will work for what you need, to clear overgrowth. They also sell a hog panel....shorter in height, less heavy. If your goats are small that may be sufficient -- especially with a lot of browse. Then you have that great night secure area.

Now these CPs can be moved BUT -- depending on the growth, may not be "easy". They ARE a touch heavy, and the size doesn't make it convenient sometimes. I moved four today, said a few bad words and I was on level ground. They are cumbersome for one person. Plus I'm a small woman, several yrs older than you.

MOST of us have a few "extra" of these around. I get mine a few at a time & have a LOT. Most are in use and some are set for temporary holding areas, corners that get heavy stress, etc. You just never know when you will need a FAST fence or repair. Pound in a few posts, tie them to those & done....that's what I mean for temporary. LOL Yes, I do have a T-post pounder & a puller. They are wonderful!! I also use the panels in my garden for things that need good support...pole beans, , tomato, cukes, etc.

@Beekissed mentions non fence areas. If you live away from roads, have only a few animals and some protection -- dogs, etc., you can sometimes pasture with less fence concerns. I have a herd of dairy goats and I have often taken them from their enclosure to another area that is unfenced to browse. They were not left alone as I hung out with them, even doing work in that area, or having my morning coffee. BUT they are all trained to come when called -- milk time & feed -- so they do stay within an easy distance with me. If I put them in a different pasture (fenced) for the day, they want to be back to their barn at night and are waiting at the gate for me to open it. Animals are creatures of habit. Work with what you have.

And that sheep enclosure -- I've seen one that was like a stall 6X8 and had one animal in it who easily pushed it around to graze. LOL

COST?? Been at this farm 20 yrs, still have expense, still learn new things, still have issues. 15 acres of fence & cross fence & barns & pastures to maintain. It's my life. :idunno

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
But, to invest $3000 to protect $300 worth of goats just isn't FISCALLY responsible. There are many facets of responsibility.

I agree so much with this. There are a lot of folks who will spend any amount of money to have a few head of this or that on their land as a hobby, but I'm not one of them. If it's not cost effective, it doesn't make any sense to me. I'm much too poor to keep animals for fun or for a hobby, so they are kept for a good reason or not at all~usually for food or for guarding said food.

To the OP....keep in mind, goats are not the only ones who are good at consuming brush. ;) Hair sheep are a great option and not as difficult to keep in fencing as goats can be, while not needing shearing like wool sheep. It's amazing just how fast a few hair sheep can strip a section of land of briers, autumn olive and any other green thing at their level.