Goats and dog collars

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I' am a teacher, but not the school type, I teach FARM and ANIMAL stuff! LOL Can't fire me because it ain't a paying job. :yesss:

Yes, each end section would have to have a gate.
You can even make a gate...we’ve done that for our goats....since it’s not wood boars...:). It doesnt need to hold back 300 lbs...it’s really the climbing issue...we built ours with lumber and saved our fencing gates for more sturdy animals.

WyoLiving

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Electric shock collars for cats and dogs will be banned in England, the government has announced. The training devices deliver up to 6,000 volts of electricity or spray noxious chemicals to control animals' behaviour. Environment secretary Michael Gove said this causes unacceptable "harm and suffering". I hope the same will happen here. we don't want this cruelty to continue
If used correctly a shock collar is an excellent tool for training dogs. The 6000 volts is the max amount used, but it is a short shock that is delivered, not a continuous 6000 volt stream of electricity.
We have a "shock collar" we bought for our Irish Setter. He would get so excited when we put it on him, because that meant he got to go hunting. It has tone as well as adjustable levels of shock. When out hunting, we used the tone to let him know when he went far enough, but we also used the shock for correction when he was away from us and not responding. We were careful to only use as much correction as needed. Some days he was more hard headed and needed a little more shock to respond.
Personally, I think a little shock from the collar is more humane than getting wacked by a passing car.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If used correctly a shock collar is an excellent tool for training dogs. The 6000 volts is the max amount used, but it is a short shock that is delivered, not a continuous 6000 volt stream of electricity.
We have a "shock collar" we bought for our Irish Setter. He would get so excited when we put it on him, because that meant he got to go hunting. It has tone as well as adjustable levels of shock. When out hunting, we used the tone to let him know when he went far enough, but we also used the shock for correction when he was away from us and not responding. We were careful to only use as much correction as needed. Some days he was more hard headed and needed a little more shock to respond.
Personally, I think a little shock from the collar is more humane than getting wacked by a passing car.

I would have to agree. We used a shock collar to train our doberman to come when called. He was great learning everything but the come when called part when he was outside exploring just didnt stick. We would call him and if he did not come we would use the tone button and call him again. If he still did not come he got one shock which is an instant shock not a prolonged thing. There are many setting on our sportdog shock collar and we only ever had it set on the "low" setting on number 3. There were if I recall correctly 14 total settings, 7 on low and 7 on stubborn. We all tested it out on ourselves on the the highest levels and on all setting types. It isnt really a painful thing, I mean it was no worse them a static shock in my opinion and was over after a fraction of a second for the instant one. The repeating shock setting we never had to use.

We ended up training him in about 2 weeks, he kept wearing the collar for a year but we never needed to use it after the first 2 weeks. It has been 3years and though he no longer wears the collar the training stuck and he comes when called without hesitation no matter where on the property he is. Do I feel I abused or traumatized my dog? No.

All that being said our doberdoodle could give two figs about the shock collar. No setting on it works for her. Sometimes she comes when called sometimes she shows up 20-40 minutes later :idunno

Our goats also don't seem to care about electric fence which we learned when using the electric net fence. So I think it depends a lot on your goats.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Outlawing shock collars is the first step to outlawing electric containment systems, which are vital to farming all over the world, but especially here in the US. If a shock collar is considered inhumane, then electric fencing, which has much more capabilities to render a bigger zap, would be considered even more so.

Be careful what you wish for. If you like to eat meat or even like to keep wild animals off your vegan food, you'll not want to eliminate the use of electric for training and containment purposes. What the UK does, which limits most freedoms of all kinds, isn't necessarily what we all want here in the home of the free.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Outlawing shock collars is the first step to outlawing electric containment systems, which are vital to farming all over the world, but especially here in the US. If a shock collar is considered inhumane, then electric fencing, which has much more capabilities to render a bigger zap, would be considered even more so.

Be careful what you wish for. If you like to eat meat or even like to keep wild animals off your vegan food, you'll not want to eliminate the use of electric for training and containment purposes. What the UK does, which limits most freedoms of all kinds, isn't necessarily what we all want here in the home of the free.
AMEN to THAT. More government is just more control over our lives.

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Some great info in this thread! Adding it to the homepage!

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Let me just warn you though...no goat is a cheap goat...there is sooo much that goes into the good care of goat keeps, minerals, vitamins, copper bolus, and I’m only thinking of a few...we got our goats from a bad farmer who went to jail for neglect. But they have cost us a pretty penny...I’m not complaining...I treasure them! Plus..after a week of owning them...you’ll love them too much to think of without worrying about predators...because everyone has them.
I Agree. Even here, goats are expensive... Alive or as for consumption, I can't say anything about the main topic though... It's just so disturbing :(:(:(

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats have a hollow shaft hair, electric fence works best for them if they hit it with their nose! There's a conduction issue. Plus goats are VERY intelligent and have a memory like an elephant. Tests have proven it! Heck some just go open the gate latch and walk out. Only shock is to the owner.:lol:

If my goats get out -- I let them settle down, then go bang on the feed trough. 99% of the time they will come back in -- same place they went out. Yep, new escape but they remember it at once. Go fix it because they will reuse. :D =D

Now cattle and horses are far more intimidated by electric fence. Far larger animal but, the electric "hits" them. Not sure about the Highlands....with all that hair.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats have a hollow shaft hair, electric fence works best for them if they hit it with their nose! There's a conduction issue. Plus goats are VERY intelligent and have a memory like an elephant. Tests have proven it! Heck some just go open the gate latch and walk out. Only shock is to the owner.:lol:

If my goats get out -- I let them settle down, then go bang on the feed trough. 99% of the time they will come back in -- same place they went out. Yep, new escape but they remember it at once. Go fix it because they will reuse. :D =D

Now cattle and horses are far more intimidated by electric fence. Far larger animal but, the electric "hits" them. Not sure about the Highlands....with all that hair.
I will tell you about my goats...but , it is NOT the norm in any way...these are pet goats that I treat like Babies...they are no longer always in their fencing...yes, I will admit it. I know, I know. Many of you are ready to admonish me for all the things that could go wrong. This is only when we are with them..but..they have learned to free range. We started this with putting them on tie outs...because we didn’t have a huge fenced in area when we first got them, and I wanted them to be able to have more pasture. They started to learn the perimeter...the square they are allowed in...this is no joke...these goats do not pass my tree line beyond to the house..then, there are more trees to the neighbors..nope, not there. Then we have a tiny not even stream...a little bit where water runs into our pond...they don’t go past there..then, the square ends at the garden...that’s there perimeter....BUT...this is only with supervision...my pot belly pigs are out too...ducks are out too...it’s, like, that’s when my dream is happening...but, it’s very monitored....and then, everybody goes back to their respectI’ve ares. But...it’s very cool how my pet goats have learned this...so, it is an example of how smart they are...but it is not something I would recommend for others...because, this only came after a lot of work..and my goats still wear leads, for the...just in case... but, it is great when they are able to move around and explore.