Goats and dog collars

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I will tell you about my goats...but , it is NOT the norm in any way...these are pet goats that I treat like Babies...they are no longer always in their fencing...yes, I will admit it. I know, I know. Many of you are ready to admonish me for all the things that could go wrong. This is only when we are with them..but..they have learned to free range.
When I had a couple goats 2 years ago, they were eventually free range. We started the summer tying them out to eat brush and putting them into a makeshift stall in our barn at night. By midsummer, they were breaking out of their stall in the morning, running loose all day, and putting themselves back in at night.

These were NOT pet goats and were almost impossible to catch, so we just rolled with it until winter, then sold them. It was kind of fun having a couple goats running around all the time, but it’s probably a miracle they didn’t get killed by predators.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I had a couple goats 2 years ago, they were eventually free range. We started the summer tying them out to eat brush and putting them into a makeshift stall in our barn at night. By midsummer, they were breaking out of their stall in the morning, running loose all day, and putting themselves back in at night.

These were NOT pet goats and were almost impossible to catch, so we just rolled with it until winter, then sold them. It was kind of fun having a couple goats running around all the time, but it’s probably a miracle they didn’t get killed by predators.
Wow..I thought we were the only ones that had these free range goats..they are soo neat...glad yours were safe!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a herd of 15 + the new babies. But, mine have free ranged on my farm without issue...when they have gotten out, or when I take them on "walks" to the rear fields. It is not uncommon for them to "learn" their boundaries. Mine are quite good so long as they head to the rear of the farm.

However --- a neighbor has an alfalfa field across the road in front of my farm. Did I mention that my girls LOVE alfalfa?? Other than there -- they stay where they belong. LOL

I have enough forage to keep them happy, generally. BUT --yeah, they have tested his hay before it was baled.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tha
I have a herd of 15 + the new babies. But, mine have free ranged on my farm without issue...when they have gotten out, or when I take them on "walks" to the rear fields. It is not uncommon for them to "learn" their boundaries. Mine are quite good so long as they head to the rear of the farm.

However --- a neighbor has an alfalfa field across the road in front of my farm. Did I mention that my girls LOVE alfalfa?? Other than there -- they stay where they belong. LOL

I have enough forage to keep them happy, generally. BUT --yeah, they have tested his hay before it was baled.
thats sooo cool to know...our goats kid this week, and I’ve been worried about how to handle the young guys...I’m hoping the moms will keep them in check to learn the boundaries...but, it sounds as if, yes, that is very realistic,and goats are happy staying right where they are! :)

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You can even make a gate...we’ve done that for our goats....since it’s not wood boars...:). It doesnt need to hold back 300 lbs...it’s really the climbing issue...we built ours with lumber and saved our fencing gates for more sturdy animals.
Two gates on both ends is perfect. :yesss:
That will make them safe and satisfied... Exactly what we did in our farm.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score

Its always great to have free range animals. for me, the meat is fabulous... and its very easy to manage and take care of. you're lucky..

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It doesn't keep predators out.
I believe it cant. not unless you guys have a greatly created cage. having only one door and raise the dog near that door. its that simple for me but it really works.

Latest posts