Goats and Grass

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, sorry if it isn't. Will goats eat all the grass and turn a field into dirt? I have read they prefer weeds ans not so much grass. I am thinking about getting 2 small goats an putting them on our acre but I don't want to end up with nothing but dirt. Thanks for the info!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can prevent over grazing by dry looting the goats. Even if tall grass remains and to you the field looks green and grassy, they will return to the tastiest grass, nipping it off as it tries to grow back and will eventually kill it. Walk your field. Develop an eye for the health of your field. Usually once grass gets tall, it gets tough and they won’t eat it. Remove the goats to a dry lot and mow the field. Give it time to grow back before putting them back on it.
You can divide your field with a cross fence and rotate them. A couple of small goats aren’t going eat a lot but if left in one place too long, they will over graze it.

I hope this makes sense to you and I hope this helps.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You can prevent over grazing by dry looting the goats. Even if tall grass remains and to you the field looks green and grassy, they will return to the tastiest grass, nipping it off as it tries to grow back and will eventually kill it. Walk your field. Develop an eye for the health of your field. Usually once grass gets tall, it gets tough and they won’t eat it. Remove the goats to a dry lot and mow the field. Give it time to grow back before putting them back on it.
You can divide your field with a cross fence and rotate them. A couple of small goats aren’t going eat a lot but if left in one place too long, they will over graze it.

I hope this makes sense to you and I hope this helps.
Than you so much!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Be sure to post pictures of your goats when you get them!

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Be sure to post pictures of your goats when you get them!
Thank you! I will. We still have some work to do before we get some. And... I have to find some. It isn't as easy as I thought around here.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just sent her a PM with a link to this post. Next time she logs on, she can contact you!

Latest posts