Goats and Peanut Butter (update)

Bring

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Original post : Can you feed pygmy or anyother breed of goats peanut butter? I can't find any treat that my girls like. One day I made my boys lunch and in a hurry wiped my hands on my pants. I went out to visit with my goats and they were licking the peanut butter off my pants. I was wondering if I could coat some carrots or apples or whatever with it and get them to eat it. Is it safe?

Update: I was just reading that some people give calf manna to their skinny goats! Do you think this will help fatten up my doe who got skinny this winter? She gave birth to a doeling a year and 2 months ago and she is still nursing!! (she's been a great mama). I don't want to seperate them because they are the only goats I have, therfore they are their herd. They freak out whenever they can't see/get to eachother. That's why I was wondering about puting peanut butter on heathly snacks for the mama so she would eat them.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oooooooookay..

Goats can't eat anything. Indeed, feeding a goat things it A) shouldn't really be eating and/or B) isn't accustomed to eating are actually really good ways to harm a goat.

So, before you go feeding peanut butter, lemme just ask...do they need treats badly enough that you have to go hunt them up something, or is this just something you want to do?

FWIW...in my experience, a handful of their regular grain makes a dandy treat.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Goat do fabulously on peanut HAY...never tried butter on them, though.

Mine love animal crackers, frosted mini wheats, cherios...and of course fresh veggies cut into pieces.

Ranch Girl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When we had our 14 goats, they loved just about anything! crackers, pop sickles, once I left a bunch of paper in their pen, and I came back and ... it was GONE!!!! They loved eating my cloths, too! :lol:

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I've given my goaties the occasional peanut. They are easy to put in your pocket, nice and dry. I am inclined to give healthy foods as treats....no cookies, white bread, etc.

Ooops, I have to admit, I give peppermints after shots or unpleasant procedures....but not as everyday treats.

Bring

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
Ooooooookay..

So, before you go feeding peanut butter, lemme just ask...do they need treats badly enough that you have to go hunt them up something, or is this just something you want to do?

The mama goat is of unknown age. I got her just over a year ago. She had a baby three months after I got her who turned 1 year on Dec. 29th. The mama is still nursing!!! I don't want to seperate them because they are the only goats I have and they have a HUGE fit when they can't see/get to eachother. The mama is looking kinda skinny to me. They free feed on alfalfa and I give oats. I just was wondering if she would take veggies or apples if it would help fatten her back up. She's lost weight this winter. Baby looks good though. If i give the baby oats too will she get kidney stones?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I'd be worried about peanutbutter because it's thick and some animals have a hard time getting out of their throat. Imagine having a mouthfull of peanutbutter and not being able to get it out of your mouth.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Bring said:
cmjust0 said:
Ooooooookay..

The mama goat is of unknown age. I got her just over a year ago. She had a baby three months after I got her who turned 1 year on Dec. 29th. The mama is still nursing!!! I don't want to seperate them because they are the only goats I have and they have a HUGE fit when they can't see/get to eachother. The mama is looking kinda skinny to me. They free feed on alfalfa and I give oats. I just was wondering if she would take veggies or apples if it would help fatten her back up. She's lost weight this winter. Baby looks good though. If i give the baby oats too will she get kidney stones?
IMO, you really need to find a way to separate them so the adult "kid" finally gets weaned. No wonder momma is skinny.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
The kid will wean eventually, sounds to me like you need to increase the feed here, not worry about treats. Lactating does require additional nutrition, and might loose a little condition, but should not get thin.