Goat's coat changed

lwphilbeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the group. I have been searching for a few months for an answer to a question about my goat. She is a 7 month old Nubian. About 3 months ago her hair changed. As a kid she had medium length, soft, auburn hair. It was so smooth and silky. Then, it started getting lighter. Her back became blonde and the hair is super curly now. It's still soft and you can see the auburn under the blonde. Is this normal? She doesn't act like anything is wrong. I can add a picture if needed. I just worry it's something like a deficiency. Thank you!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a mineral deficiency.

What is she eating? Minerials? What type of hay? Quality? Has she had any vit/mineral boluses/injections?

Can you post some pics of the goat? How do your other goats look? Are you on well water-if so do you know if it is high in anything (we have high iron for example).

lwphilbeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
20170619_204444.jpg Original coat color

20170905_183606.jpg Current coat

lwphilbeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She eats Goat Sweet Feed. She has some alpha hay that we give her daily with evening meal. I've heard of maybe copper deficiency?

lwphilbeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Would I see worms in her stool if she had them?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tapesworm is generally the only ones you will see. They are not the biggest deal, the barberpole worm is and it is a bloodsucker that causes anemia.
There are many reasons a coat be different. As a goat matures the colors can lighten and change somewhat. Texture is more of a concern.
However, she should have hay available 24/7 it can be a grass hay like orchard, it doesn't need to be alfalfa all the time but she really needs access to hay 24/7. Sweet feed contains sugars which long term bind minerals, so I don't use but many do... just something to be aware of.
She needs goat minerals, and she needs to have them available 24/7.

Copper and Cobalt as well as the interaction between other minerals are necessary for healthy goats. Defiency in Copper, Cobalt, and Selenium are an issue in most parts of the US. All of these deficiencies can cause coat issues as well as increase the possibility of parasitic (worm issues).

I would have a fecal run on your goat and if your vet does EPG McMasters Method- that would be ideal.

The two pics... how old is she in both pics?

lwphilbeck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The first she's a little over 3 months. The second, she's 6 months. She was born May 3, 2017.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first she's a little over 3 months. The second, she's 6 months. She was born May 3, 2017.

From the pic, her coat doesn't look bad. Winter coat will be different somewhat as they get their undercoat. Coat color can change as a kid grows and starts to mature.

She really doesn't look like she has grown much between 3 months ad 6 months.
I would look closely at how and what you are feeding, fecal analysis, providing good hay 24/7, and minerals. She needs to grow.
There are some goats that just grow super slow, some stunt for no reason, some that are just small... but you want to make sure the management is not causing the small stature either.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. Sorry your concern about your goat brought you here, but it's a good place to be with lots of great goat folks. Please consider putting at least your general location in your profile as it can have a large bearing on recommendation when you ask for help. Some things that work in FL won't work so well in AK... There's lots of good info and experiences shared in the forum threads. Browse around and make yourself at home. Glad you joined us, Happy Holidays!