Goats eat hay...right??

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We've had our goats for about a month now. They are Nigerian Dwarf, 3 months old, doelings. I bought Rye grass hay for them but they wouldn't eat it.

Thinking I got the wrong kind of hay, I went out and bought a bale of alfalfa/grass hay for them to try. I Iried offering some by hand and they sniffed it, then ignored it. Put a small small amount in their hay manger and their is no evidence that they are eating it (hasn't depleted in size, no hay on the floor).

Now, they ARE grazing our tall, tall grass and blackberries all day long. I also give them a small portion of alfalfa pellets every morning/evening.

Is that enough or should they be eating the hay?

Also, no evidence that they drink water. Do they drink water?? o_O

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Goaties are so picky. I miss mine lol
They do drink water and eat hay, but not a whole lot when they have lots of rich browse to nibble instead.
Just keep offering it. If they get bored/hungry enough, they’ll eat it...or they’ll just climb up in the manger and sleep on it...:rolleyes:

I thought I'd use the rye hay as a supplement to bedding. Cleaned out the "barn" tonight, put down a light layer of shavings and then the hay...and the goats promptly started eating the hay on the floor! :th

Soooo...maybe they just don't like the hay in the manger? :idunno Then again, it's been raining all day so maybe they were finally desperate enough to eat it, as they were unable to forage.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe the hay smelled strange and they had to warm up to the idea. Or one of them had pooped in the manger. My goats won't eat out of anything with poop in or near it.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Maybe the hay smelled strange and they had to warm up to the idea. Or one of them had pooped in the manger. My goats won't eat out of anything with poop in or near it.

Maybe...except they don't seem to mind eating the hay off the once poopy (and soon to be again) floor. So weird.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe...except they don't seem to mind eating the hay off the once poopy (and soon to be again) floor. So weird.
Welcome to the world of goaties! I doubt this will be the first or only ‘weird’ thing you’ll discover about them...it’s just the beginning :gig

Latest posts