Goats for homestead self sufficience

alba

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just read that people can donate $30 to feed the children to get a family in Kenya a goat so they can escape poverty.

IMAGINE THAT! owning a goat makes them self sufficient because of the milk, jogurt, cheese etc and they feed them for FREE off of whatever they browse.

That's good to know. Another reason to get goats, they make good economical sense.
Free milk, cheese and yogurt for browse. Well that's how the native people view it.

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
...I hope they have some billies or there won't be much milk...My bet is they eat the goat long before it gives milk....

sunnygoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Heifer International will instruct a family on how to raise and care for their gift of livestock. Then the family passes an offspring to another family in need.
www.heifer.org

annanicole18

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
my school did the heifer thing a few years ago it was awesome! i live in a rural area so most people understood the benefit of the animals and how important it would be for children. i think we raised enough for two and a half prego cows well we couldn't get half a cow so they told us in that situation they send goats too!!!! i thought this was one of the best causes they donated to when i was in highschool

Water4Two

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
sunnygoats said:
Heifer International will instruct a family on how to raise and care for their gift of livestock. Then the family passes an offspring to another family in need.
www.heifer.org
Thanks for the link. I think my family and I will help this organization this year.

reinbeau

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Our bee club donates $300 a year to Heifer to supply ten hives to families. It's a great organization, they teach, not just provide.

pattyjean73

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sounds like a good organization. I'd like to attend one of their classes though!

reinbeau

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
pattyjean73 said:
Sounds like a good organization. I'd like to attend one of their classes though!
I don't think they offer them to the public, I know they do work here, in poor areas of the US, but most is done overseas.

Latest posts