1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Help! My Rabbit just had babies - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Goats in shock

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by Hopeful Acres, Aug 8, 2018 at 12:26 PM.

1. Aug 8, 2018 at 12:26 PM
    Hopeful Acres

Hopeful Acres Exploring the pasture

I need to know what the signs of shock are?

Early this morning I chased away a giant German shepherd that was attacking my young goats. I have checked them all over and the only injury I see are a couple cuts on the back of their necks. No obvious broken bones, internally I don't know.
    I have given them water and have been checking on them every thirty minutes but of course their scared so they just stay in the back corner of their little house. They were walking around in the house and one peed there was no blood in it. But I am worried about Piper. She doesn't want to move but I can't tell I she is in pain or shock. I am worried about them bloating if they don't move around and dehydration if they don't drink more.
    What do I do to help them?

2. Aug 8, 2018 at 7:05 PM
    Jeanne Sheridan

Jeanne Sheridan Ridin' The Range

A dog got in with my kids last spring and scared them pretty badly. I ended up moving them into a stall by themselves away from my older goats and stayed with them for a couple hours. I just brought in an old towel and sat down on the floor with them. Within a couple minutes they were all trying to sit on my lap. By the end of the 2 hours they were acting normally. I opened the door to the stall to let them leave if they wanted to but didn't force it. Instead of them leaving some of my does joined us but within another 30 minutes everything was back to normal.

Latestarter and Mike CHS like this.
  3. Aug 9, 2018 at 12:28 AM
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

So sorry that you're dealing with this. Glad you were in time to stop anything worse from happening. Dogs are the number one cause of injury/death to small livestock. I'd take care of those cuts and then as Jeanne said, you just need to spend some time with them till they understand that everything is back to normal and they aren't about to become lunch. Hope you'll give us an update. Best of luck!

ETA: I hope you're making arrangements to increase your fencing/security for the goats to protect them from future attacks of this sort.