Goats in the attic?

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud...

A 10x10cube with 2x4s about 16 inches apart along the sides should be enough to support it, right? Then plywood sides on top of that and (for now) a painted plywood roof (will eventually have to change, but will last a few years). I'm really hoping to build something 10x10x6 or 8' high for less than $300

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Something like this, with plywood on the sides. I think I could make it for around $500 + paint.

IMG_6847.JPG

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got a little lost. What are we supporting?

You can build any size anything with the appropriate support. If the span is too wide, you can put in a support beam and posts in the middle. If you don't want the posts, you need a bigger support beam.

For instance in the picture above, there ABSOLUTELY should be a header for that doorway. The roof rafters are going to push down the doubled 2xs that span the opening. That header is likely a doubled 2x8 (set vertically on jack studs nailed to the studs at the edge of the opening). You would typically have a header just above the window as well. And I would want 4 more concrete pads. AND what are those sitting on? If there isn't a broad base under each one, the entire thing will sink into the ground.

Not sure the difference in cost between 2x4 and 2x6 but if you can build something with 2x4s 16" on center you can likely build it with 2x6s on 24" centers. You would have to calculate it out to see what is cheaper.

I don't think you will have less humidity with a dirt floor than a concrete floor. Likely more. Whatever moisture is absorbed by dirt can be released back out. Ventilation is your friend :)

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Never mind about the support. I was just thinking of the cost to build that type of shed. But my grandfather has just offered to buy the materials for the roof, including the sheet metal, so I'm quite happy. So the we will be building a shed like the burgundy one this summer for the goats:

IMG_6836.JPG

I'm quite happy - things are finally falling into place. I know the breeder from whom I will buy my goats, and will now have one shed per type of animal. I am also very relieved that I found fencing at a reasonable price. They will have 9,600 sq.ft for 2 ND goats + 7 chickens, and they will be let out into the 8 acre field when we are home. I also received my registration membership papers! I am very happy with my tattoo letters and herd name, even though they won't be used for 2 years.

We have a "neigbour" two streets away who had 6 goats, and now they have about 10-12 (hard to count in the field). They have a lot of NDs, and I'm glad to see people who also have farm animals. Our land is in what I would call "estate countryside" instead of the more agricultural countryside. We are allowed farm animals and everything, but most only have cats and dogs. There are larger farms around, but all the other houses only cultivate their lawns . So far I've only seen that neighbour with goats, another one a few streets down with chickens, and another one with horses. Maybe we will insipre our neighbours to get a few chickens!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pretty fancy goat digs!

You don't want them getting chickens, you want to sell your excess eggs to them. ;) I bet people living in "estate countryside" will pay a decent price for eggs from happy chickens that range.

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's true! There is an organic farm across the river from us (so maybe a 10 minute drive) and they sell their eggs for 5$. They also always run out. People actually pre-order the eggs, even though they have 100 hens (that is the maximum without purchasing quota here, and the quotas are way too expensive for smaller farms). Since they often don't have enough, we should be able to sell them as well.