goat's leg got wrapped up in lead and is swollen

Joerescuesgoats

Herd lurker
Reaction score
discovered my goat had wrapped his lead around his leg and its swollen about double its normal size. Should I soak it in ice water or just let it be? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Soak in warm epsom salt water.
If you haven’t already, give some banamine.

We had something similar happen, it has been an ordeal.

Do you have a vet?

I’ll post more later.

Joerescuesgoats

Herd lurker
Reaction score
actually - I am posting for Joe - and he just got the goat a few weeks ago and no he does not have a vet yet. He is experienced with goats though as he had them years ago but had never had something like this happen before. I have horses and can give him the banamine and epsom salts. Thank you so much for replying!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH to you and Joe from NE TX! So glad you joined us. Sorry to hear about the goat injury that brought you here. Hope he heals up just fine. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. You'll get to "meet" folks at the same time. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Oh, and we all love pics, so post them anytime you feel the need! Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember from this post & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know what type of banamine you have, so cannot say.

Here is what happened to us (in short).

Earlier this year, we had a doeling get her leg tangled in some old wire back in the woods.
We had no idea it was even there, it had grown up with some trees. Who knows how old the wire was.
We went out to do nightly bottle feeding, milking, etc. The doeling never came up for her milk. We found her, her leg tangled in the wire. She could have been there for up to 4 hours, as this happened in between bottle feedings. Her leg was swollen and the doeling was in a lot pain. This was late at night. I gave her a shot of banamine and held her for a good hour until the meds kicked in. We set up a dog crate and she stayed in the house for the night. The next day we took her to the vet.
We shaved the area, and used a marker to trace any questionable looking areas, to monitor to dying skin.

We started doing Epson salt soaks 2x a day. Each soak was about 45 minutes to an hour. This helped pull the fluid buildup from the leg, then rinse with cool water, then apply arnica gel. She was on banimine and Pen G 2x a day.

After a few days, we continued doing the soaks and meds, but during the day we started doing honey wraps on the leg. It had to be changed often but it really seemed to help draw out the fluid. At night we would take off the wraps, soak in Epsom salts, rinse, and continue the arnica gel.
We would also massage the leg to express fluid.

Over time, the skin started dying off- but not necessary sloughing like you see in other injuries. The skin became hard, and needed to be cut off in sections. We were lucky- the leg itself survived, it is just the skin that died.

This is the day after I believe (click pics)
Lilly hurt leg 1 (4).JPG

Here, you can see the skin is starting to discolor and the seepage coming through the leg
061.JPG
Lilly hurt leg 2 (6).JPG
Lilly hurt leg 2 (5).JPG
Lilly hurt leg 2 (2).JPG

We would use a pool noodle on the bucket when soaking her leg. She was really good for it.
You can see how gross the water is- mostly from the seepage (the shavings were on her belly- some fell in the bucket)
048.JPG

This is once we started removing the skin. I'm missing some pics. We ended up removing the skin from the lower leg as well. Once the skin was removed we stopped the Epsom salt and arnica treatments.
Lilly 8-13-18 (2).JPG

Because she was on such a long course of antibiotics and banamine, our vet was able to get oral meds so we wouldn't have to give 4 shots/daily.

You will have to make a decision as to how far you will go. Our doe was a bottle baby and very easy to work with. She is very happy! BUT this happened in May 2018. We are still dealing with this and she do needs surgery. You NEED to consult a vet. We are thankful to have a wonderful vet who did everything to help us with Lilly.