Goats Limping Because of Vaccinations!!!!!

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yesterday my 4 month old goats got their booster vaccination for CD&T. Today I noticed some VERY bad limping from one of our goats, the other had a small limp. Thinking it was a snake bite, we called our vet immediately. He came out around 4:00 today and gave her a penicillin shot, but not our other girl since her limp was barely noticeable. He is also coming tomorrow to check on them again. The one with the terrible limp was even picking her leg up at times to run, it was scary and incredibly concerning. The vet didn't seem too concede about it, but it is really not like them to just stand there. I'm still a little worried about them. They are usually jumping and running constantly. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Madelyn

Last edited:

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday my 4 month old goats got their booster vaccination for CD&T. Today I noticed some VERY bad limping from one of our goats, the other had a small limp. Thinking it was a snake bite, we called our vet immediately. He came out around 4:00 today and gave her a penicillin shot, but not our other girl since her limp was barely noticeable. He is also coming tomorrow to check on them again. The one with the terrible limp was even picking he leg up at times to run, it was scary and incredibly concerning. The vet didn't seem too concede about it, but it is really not like them to just stand there. I'm still a little worried about them. They are usually jumping and running constantly. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Madelyn
So they are all limping? Did you vaccinate near or on the leg they are limping on? Did you vaccinate subq or im?

You probably already know this, but depending on the type of pennicilin, you have to keep giving it to them at least once a day for 5 days...

@Southern by choice @babsbag @Goat Whisperer

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Green Acres Farm Yes, they are both limping. I only have two. They are limping on the leg where the vaccination was given on the shoulder. I think they were given an im. Considering their soreness.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Green Acres Farm Yes, they are both limping. I only have two. They are limping on the leg where the vaccination was given on the shoulder. I think they were given an im. Considering their soreness.
Well, I'm certainly no vet, but I know there are nerves that can be accidentally and damaged when given intramuscularly.
Who did the vaccination? If you did it, did you lift the skin into a "tent" and put the needle in at an angle, or just straight into the muscle?

ETA: When I said I'm certainly no vet, I meant take my advice with a grain of salt. I didn't mean to sound snotty...

Last edited:

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Green Acres Farm Our vet did it. He didn't lift up the skin. He just stuck it in horizontally.

@Southern by choice there were definitely no bites. Just a little swelling in the injection site. They were vaccinated on the same shoulder as the leg they were limping on. Our vet also said that there was not damage related to a break or a sprain. They don't have a fever. That all looks good, just the leg issue. I also talked to a friend who shows sheep and she said that this can be a common thing if the shot was injected in the muscle, and that they may limp for 2-3 more days.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I got a tetanus shot (combined with I think she said whooping cough) in my shoulder the other day... It was IM and she put it straight in. It's still sore but at least I'm not limping... :hide :smack I've heard that any shot given IM can cause them to limp for a few days.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't get why the vet would give penicillin if there was no fever or signs of anything other than a sore shoulder. Sounds like the vet hit muscle, intentionally or not. Poor things, they'll be OK soon though I'm sure. Just sire!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know why Penn was given. :idunno

She is just sore. I never give an IM shot on the front shoulder/leg.
Was there a reason the CDT was given IM? I always give it sub-q.
If you continue the Pen treatment, remember to always aspirate the syringe before you inject, this goes for ALL meds really. If you inject penn into an artery or vessel it can kill them almost instantly.

Just keen an eye on them :)

Latest posts