Goats&moregoats: KickinUpDust Farm Journal

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hopefully, there will be the ability to visit with them, or have them come for a visit with the blessing of their guardian. Sorry about the delay with the dogs and hope it doen't take too long before ya can welcome them to their new home. At least now ya mind can rest a bit having gotten your answer. I'm in agreement with ya about your patient, too....decline seems to become very rapid.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
His conclusion was that the children had been in stable home(not their permanent homes) and counseling for two years. He felt that not disrupting their current situation was in their best interest.
So sorry @goats&moregoats :(

What is their current situation? Foster care? If so, I wouldn't give up hope on getting them sometime. Seems like the kids in foster care get moved around to new homes a fair bit though I can't imagine that is good for them psychologically. If they do get moved again, it should be to a "forever home" with someone who wants them permanently. I think I know just the place.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry you weren't successful getting the grandkids. Don't know what to say about that... At least you can stay in touch with them.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
sorry to hear things didn't work out for you and getting the grandkids :hugs and also for the lady you are taking care of...it's not an easy thing to go through :hugs

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It is with a heavy heart that I close this page and the goat farming chapter of my life:hit. The doctor's and nurses are insistent that I will not be able to do farm chores for about a month and a half:somad. Starting four days prior to surgery until incision is completely healed. I do not have anyone at the home who can take care of the animals. I certainly can't afford to pay for someone to come in twice a day for that time period. Therefore I have re-homed the five goats I had(all together thankfully) and wrote to the lady about the two LGD's. It is time now for me to refocus my energy elsewhere.

I have plenty to do to keep me busy here and I am going to start working on some painting projects that I have been putting on hold. Also going to try to get this poor lady's home weatherized:thumbsup. It needs it desperately. I wish everyone the best of luck in the future and hope you all have a wonderful New Year:love.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, that is a real pisser....pardon my french....but, there isn't anything that keeps ya from still being a participant in the "Herd" here. Sure hope this surgery goes well and your endeavors can be rewarded, if even at a future date....:fl

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Other news: My visit to Dr. Marsh has reached the decision for complete left knee replace meant. Knee has arthritis in two areas and cartilage is completely gone, so it's bone on bone. In the meantime there have been and will be other doctor and dental appointments between no and surgery date. That is Jan 22nd. I will be out of commission for a week except for inside with a walker. I have two people coming that week. One to stay and help me with with the elderly lady I care for and one to care for the animals. Then two weeks with a cane...hoping I can take care of animals at that point.
I sure hope your surgery went well and recovery is progressing well for ya.....:fl.....I bet Storm is really good company for ya and he wants maw back to Normal, too. I know he is even bigger than he was back then.....:)
Just wanted ya to know we are still thinking about cha!!....:frow

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, I am back. Not a planned endeavor but I had everything still in place so it is a go. My sister in law has severe back issues that prevent her from caring for her two goats. So I brought them home with me.

They are Alpine/Nubian. both are 2 years old. I currently have them in the buck quarters as the doe barn has to be deep cleaned from before my surgery. They are both doing well. Not very people friendly, will have to work on that a little at a time. They got medicated grain this morning with black oil sunflower seeds. Fresh clean water last night and this morning(obviously a daily chore). I need to pick up a couple bales of hay to hold them until the brush and grass start coming in. Dark one I named Sage and the lighter one I named Ginger.

I need to let them settle in a bit then hoof trim, worm treatment, lice treatment, copper & CDT vaccine. I know the original owners did all these things so hopefully they will be ok on the stand.

My fiance' wants me to get more goats and get back into things. He knows I love doing this and it keeps me active. So tomorrow I am going to look at some bottle babies. Same mixed breed. Thinking a buck, a wether and a doe unrelated to buck.

I did look up information on both of these breeds, but if any one who reads this can fill me in on anything particular to these breeds and offer anything, feel free.

My knee replacement surgery well. Even though I am still in PT for another 4-6 weeks the doctor has lifted an restrictions. I just need to be extra careful doing the farm chores.

I still get visits & contact with my grandchildren in Ohio and an appeal has been filed, but I am not holding my breath. One day at a time.

My Husky Storm, has grown into a massive fur ball. He is a character for sure. 8 months old last week, weighing in at 58.6 lbs now. He got neutered on March 22nd. Very well behaved except for chasing the cats which we are stubbornly working on correcting.

So today was my first day back to doing farm chores. This afternoon I need to ready the baby barn just in case I bring any home tomorrow. I will keep the babies(if I get any) separate from the adults for at least 30 days. then we can see how it goes with supervision. Unfortunately the older does have horns. The babies do not.

I do have some one willing to band older goats. Any opinions on that?

Pictures of Ginger & Sage as well as a couple recent ones of Storm.
Goat pictures taken this morning.
IMG_20180409_080933.jpg IMG_20180409_080935.jpg IMG_20180409_080939.jpg IMG_20180409_080944.jpg IMG_20180409_081609.jpg First two taken this morning. Last was taken the beginning of March.
IMG_20180409_091627.jpg IMG_20180409_091631.jpg IMG_20180308_092745.jpg