Goats&moregoats: KickinUpDust Farm Journal

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I know this is a site for hoofed critters, but I just have to share the additions to my little "farm." Today after morning chores and making sure the house was in decent shape we took an hour and a half drive to purchase Indian Runner ducks which I have been wanting for some time. I got 6 of them. Straight run. I also purchased 4 Easter Egger chicks and two Leghorn chicks. All Pullets. Super excited!:celebrate

Pictures:
IMG_20180601_152455.jpg Ducklings
IMG_20180601_152503.jpg Chicks
IMG_20180601_184555.jpg IMG_20180601_194614.jpg IMG_20180601_194618.jpg IMG_20180601_194935.jpg All together.
Metal wire covering on 3/4 of container and wood over 1/4. Heat lamp hangs above without touching metal covering and is securely tied to rafters above. No names for any of them yet. Ducks won't be named until we know the gender. Have a few in mind though:D =D.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Bruce , well the guy who sold them told me they were, but also after doing research and based off the age he said they were: the appearance of wing feathers & tail feathers at just under a week would indicate they are indeed pullets.

I am going to take the grand-kids out this afternoon and let them each name one chick.
More later.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
How absolutely Wonderful!!!....:celebrate :weee
There is nothing like having some ducks around....I'm really hoping to get this whole land issue settled, so I can start making plans to get us some more....yes they are messy....yes they enjoy as much water as ya give them.....but, the entertainment value is sooo worth it all. I want to get some runners and some khaki campbells. We have found out that 12 ducks will eat as much grass as 3 goats, plus bugs and pellets if ya give it to them. Once the little quackers get their feathers ya may want to get them outside to save the cleanup time of their mess inside.....they will out grow the chicks rapidly.....and the first time ya put them in water, you'll see the light kick on for them and they will absolutely Love it and will never be the same......:).....can't wait to see better pics of the little cuties.....:love

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry I have not posted in a while....It's been tough. My mom ended up back in the hospital and then unfortunately we lost her. She was able to convey that she was ready and did not want to be hooked up to all the machines. All but one of her children, most of her grandchildren and some of her great grandchildren were there to say goodbye. I just returned home on the 12th. I am doing everything possible to stay busy.

June 13th
I had to move my ducks & chicks as the old water trough I was keeping them in became to small for all of them to safely coexist. The ducklings are growing fast and a experts at creating a watery mess. My poor chicks had no place dry at all. So I closed off the door to the chicken run. Set up area for their bedding with the heat lamp pointed directly at it. A crossed the coop in another corner I set up the ducks playing water dish so nothing could get wet when they played in it. Then I set up the 3 gallon chicken water container & the little one next to it. I then raised the food dish off the floor a bit and set it a bit further away from the water dish.
I spent the morning weeding the fence line. I finally figured out how to use the weed eating around the fence without having to worry about catching the bottom wire in it. Once that was done I let the babies out with the older goats and just hung out with them for a couple of hours. Ginger got aggressive with Winchester and knocked him off his feet. I made sure he was ok, scolded her and put all the babies back in their own pen for the night. Winchester is 13 weeks & Rio, Nutmeg & Juniper are 12 weeks.
IMG_20180613_183416.jpg
IMG_20180613_124002.jpg IMG_20180613_124049.jpg IMG_20180613_124059.jpg IMG_20180613_124117.jpg
June 14th
I got a late start due to several phone calls coming in and going out. I spent the major portion of the middle of the day making the chicken run safe for the ducklings and chicks. It's an old dog kennel. I put chicken wire around the bottom and completely over the top. Then I cut a piece to fit over the gate as well. So later today I will go reopen the door to the run so they can go in and out as they please. I put a gate up so I can get into the run if necessary. This run will not remain up, it's only to protect them while they are so little. I am hoping to get some decent pictures once they start going into the run.
I let the babies out of their pen to hang out while I was out there. Sage and Ginger did better today, but I had to warn Sage once. I am most concerned that Ginger & Sage will get to rough within the barn or won't let the little ones in the barn at all. I am going to find out this week I guess. You can barely see the little ones near Ginger to the right. I also need to remove what was a hay feeder from chicken run.
IMG_20180613_125518.jpg IMG_20180613_125823.jpg IMG_20180614_174241.jpg

While I was in NY my sister in law contacted me. She has a co-worker who needs to re-home two Dwarf Nigerians. A fixed male and a doe. Sonny & Sally. They are free. Going over next week to meet them, get some more information and maybe bring them home. They need to go in the buck pen for 30 days or I need to do a temporary pen for 30 days. Trying to figure that one out. If they go in buck pen then the little ones need to be with the older goats. I am wondering if I am being to restrictive with the little ones being with the older goats. The problem is that they don't have a mom to protect them. Opinions on this would be helpful. I will continue letting them out each day until I get the other two goats(if I get them). Hoping the older girls will lighten up as time goes on. The other problem being the pellets. The older girls will not allow the younger ones in the pellets. I have not tried this yet, I just know. So I will need to devise a plan of action for feeding time.
This is Sonny & Sally, I believe Sally is the one with horns. Going off the colors of the collars on this guess.
received_10211892063274160.jpeg received_10211892094394938.jpeg
Today I was going to finish the yard work..a little mowing but mostly trimming. Then weed flower beds and plant some flowers & decorative grass I brought back with me. However, it is raining. So it will be: morning chores, doctor appointment for knee and then house cleaning if it's still raining. Later it is suppose to clear off so I can start the yard work then and make sure the babies get time in with older girls.

Latest posts