Goats off of craigslist

HopeGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to get goats off of craigslist? For example, I found 2 Nigerian dwarf goats (both does) for $350. Should I avoid Craigslist?

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just like anywhere else you buy animals, be careful. Some people might just being trying to get rid of disease ridden animals, while others actually have great quality and truly care about their animals.

I have both sold and bought goats (animals) off of CL and got mixed results. I would recommend making sure that the goats you buy are from a clean tested herd (CL/CAE/Johne's). Make sure that the goats and their pens look clean. The goats should also be bright eyed and alert.

IMHO, you can tell lot from how the seller communicates with you. I will only buy from someone who is willing to thoroughly answer all of my questions, sends pictures per my request, seems to really care about their animals, and has good grammar. No, I'm not kidding on the last one......there are lots of scammers on CL and most do not have good grammar. Be careful.

I also like to ask if they have a farm website and/or FB page - you can tell a lot from those.

Can you post a link to the ad of goats you're considering? We might be able to give you some insight.

Last edited:

HopeGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice.
I did a quick search on Craigslist just to see what they had, but I won't be ready for goats for at least a month so I'm sure the pairs I saw will be sold by then.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good or bad impact?
Very good. That doe line is the most consistent in appearance and performance. Her name was Little Flowers Ginger . Sadly, we had to have her put down this year. She appraised 89, earned a milk star and now there are 4 generations of milk stars, grand champions and 90 and 91 appraisal scores.
We have another doe SGCH Little Tots Estate Zamia, while a better doe herself, has not produced the consistency and quality of female offspring that Ginger did.

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
depends on what you want them for obviously if you want them for milk you would get does if you want them just as pets or pasture animals wethers would be great for that. I prefer doe's just because you can make a little money off of them and I have them for milk and shows.

hoovesgalore

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
and like they said you had to be careful of craigslist I've had both good and bad experiance I got one doeling that had lice and was sick but once she got better and I got rid of the lice shes one of our favorite goats and i just recently bought a buckling off craigslist registered healthy got everything from the other owner but the seller wasn't very helpful.