Goats with collars?

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am now the proud parent of 3 goats. A wether, a doeling and her baby she had this morning. I want to feed the wether and doeling separately now so he doesn't eat all her food. I was thinking about getting collars for them. Is there a such thing as a goat collar or do I just use a dog collar. Is there a better idea? I didnt really want to put harnesses on them.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am now the proud parent of 3 goats. A wether, a doeling and her baby she had this morning. I want to feed the wether and doeling separately now so he doesn't eat all her food. I was thinking about getting collars for them. Is there a such thing as a goat collar or do I just use a dog collar. Is there a better idea? I didnt really want to put harnesses on them.
Thanks!
Congratulations!!! Goat collars are a very familiar thing in smaller operations, particularly dairy, but I believe they in general are very popular. I unfortunately do not have any links of products to use, but I know a lot of people use them. We might still have some people here who have dairy goats that could tell you what they like.
Personally I have sheep and know from my friend who has show meat goats that we halter break our animals, and it can be very worth it, if you are willing to endure the halter, there are definite bonuses with those.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Congratulations!!! Goat collars are a very familiar thing in smaller operations, particularly dairy, but I believe they in general are very popular. I unfortunately do not have any links of products to use, but I know a lot of people use them. We might still have some people here who have dairy goats that could tell you what they like.
Personally I have sheep and know from my friend who has show meat goats that we halter break our animals, and it can be very worth it, if you are willing to endure the halter, there are definite bonuses with those.
Thank you. I just didnt want to leave a halter on him all day.

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
There are such things as 'goats collars', but just use dog collars are they work just as well and are usually cheaper. It's a good idea to get the collars with the plastic buckles so they can break if a goat were to get stuck. Other than that, any dog collar will do. Medium or large should be good size.

I know some people like these plastic chain collars. Never used them myself, but I believe they are break-away.
iu

Silicone dog collars would be another good option. They are supposed to hold up longer and the colors shouldn't fade as fast as a normal dog collar.

Just make sure that there are no places/things in your goats' pen that a collared goat can get stuck on.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Collars will be very helpful to tether your doe and wether at feeding time to prevent them from stealing each other's grain. That's what I do and it works great!

Love the Bible verse in your signature, by the way!!!
Awesome thanks! I am going to go look for some. And thank you! That is my favorite Bible verse.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Several years ago, we had a greedy goat that would go from bowl to bowl, to eat everyone else's food. We started hanging a chain, for each goat, on the t-posts around the goat yard. At meal time, each goat has learned to go to it’s own t-post and get the chain hooked to it’s collar, using a carabeaner. Once they are all hooked up, their bucket is hung from the fence. So, each goat gets their own portion, and no one gets cheated at meal time.

In the beginning, it can be a challenge, teaching the goats to go to their own t-post. But, eventually they DO learn that they don’t get breakfast or dinner, unless they let us hook them up at their own t-post.

*** Note: In the beginning we used rope, but we learned from experience, that light weight chain is much better (for hooking the goats up and for hanging the buckets), because the goats like to chew on rope, and will eventually chew through the rope.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are such things as 'goats collars', but just use dog collars are they work just as well and are usually cheaper. It's a good idea to get the collars with the plastic buckles so they can break if a goat were to get stuck. Other than that, any dog collar will do. Medium or large should be good size.

I know some people like these plastic chain collars. Never used them myself, but I believe they are break-away.
iu

Silicone dog collars would be another good option. They are supposed to hold up longer and the colors shouldn't fade as fast as a normal dog collar.

Just make sure that there are no places/things in your goats' pen that a collared goat can get stuck on.
We tried the plastic collars, but learned that they eventually break. So. We use adjustable, 1/2 - 3/4” dog collars, with a break-away, squeeze clasp. Our buck gets an adjustable, heavy duty dog collar with a metal buckle, because he is so strong.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you. I just didnt want to leave a halter on him all day.
We leave their collars on all the time. We find that it makes it easier to grab a collar when we are trying to catch a stubborn goat, for one reason or another. A cup of grain entices them to come close and then we grab the collar. They then get another nibble of grain, as a ”reward” for “letting” us catch them. :lol:

Latest posts