Goats, worms, panacur, and rumatel

PsychoRoo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just received two alpine/pygmy mixes (a buck and a doe) about 7 months old. His poop didn't llok right so I took samples of both to the vet. Vet said both were over-burdened with ring and hook worms and gave me Panacur (Fenbendazole) to give them PO once a day for three days. Now my questions for the experts:

1. Will this solve the problem or do they need to be dosed again? Vet says no but everything I have read talks about breaking the cycle and doing it two more times at 10 day intervals, then maybe a third time after 30 days.

2. Is food utilizing Rumatel just as effective and can I use that to deworm on a regular basis?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
1. Do another fecal a couple or 3 weeks after you treat them and go from there.
2. Never used it. I think just treating them when needed is probably the way to go. You should only worm when needed, not on a schedule.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
1. I concur with OneFineAcre, do another fecal so you're not just throwing chemicals at them.

2. Never deworm on a schedule it leads to drug resistant worms. As to the de-wormer based feeds, they are a load of horse manure in my opinion. You have to guarantee that your animal eats exactly the dosage of feed at every feeding interval. Eats too little you get drug resistant worms, eats too much you're wasting meds. Save yourself the money and the trouble and just run fecals and use the de-wormers when you need them.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I concur with Elevan. Worm as needed. Google FAMACHA and familiarize yourself with it. Good luck with them!