Going halves on a buck

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
Okay folks! I have the opportunity to buy half of a REALLY nice Boer buck. He is 3 years old, and registered (checking this info to make sure). I'm going to get some pictures of him so I can get opinions on him from you all here ;)
Have any of you owned half a buck? Pros/Cons to doing this? I don't want to end up in something that isn't going to work out. The buck would reside here at our farm.

RainySunday

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I haven't done this myself, but the things I would think about are...: Is the other herd he will be servicing disease-free? How will you decide who gets him during breeding season? If he is residing at your place, who is paying for feed, fence maintenance, vet care, etc? I would want to have all that spelled out and agreed to ahead of time, so it doesn't get weird later.

Good luck though!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
nurturingnaturally said:
I haven't done this myself, but the things I would think about are...: Is the other herd he will be servicing disease-free? How will you decide who gets him during breeding season? If he is residing at your place, who is paying for feed, fence maintenance, vet care, etc? I would want to have all that spelled out and agreed to ahead of time, so it doesn't get weird later.

Good luck though!
Agreed!

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok I can't resist. Are you buying the fron half or the back half :lol: I would say the back half would be more advantageous in a breeding buck..OK, I'll get back to work now...

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Tapsmom said:
Ok I can't resist. Are you buying the fron half or the back half :lol: I would say the back half would be more advantageous in a breeding buck..OK, I'll get back to work now...
:yuckyuck

I was thinking the same thing when I read the original post. I just decided to not say it! :duc. Thanks for saying what I was thinking. :gig

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
:yuckyuck
That's just too funny :gig

Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping to get some pictures this afternoon....

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
nurturingnaturally said:

Good luck though!
Agreed, make a contract and have witnesses. I have done this with Bull's and you should get everything spelled out.

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
Pictures!!! I need brutally honest opinions on this guy... I think he's put together very well but :rolleyes:

4498_img_0481.jpg

4498_img_0490.jpg

4498_img_0496.jpg

4498_img_0500.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pics, it was getting dark and my cheap digital camera doesn't do very well!

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Are you breeding for show or meat? If you're breeding for meat he will be fine. If you're breeding for show I would like to see more neck and longer legs.He also appears to be weak on his pasterns.

Donna Finley
Finley Boers

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Renegade said:
Are you breeding for show or meat? If you're breeding for meat he will be fine. If you're breeding for show I would like to see more neck and longer legs.He also appears to be weak on his pasterns.

Donna Finley
Finley Boers
I had the opportunity to see this buck in person. His previous owner had not trimmed the rear hooves on him, only the front hooves. And it is apparent that Cassenova hadn't had his hooves trimmed in QUITE some time. Once his hooves are trimmed, the pasterns won't look so weak. ;)
He is quite impressive in person, and will definitely make big beautiful MEATY kids, espescially if he is paired with MrsDieselEngineer's doe Sophia! Goodness would they make beautiful meat kids! :drool :drool :D