Going to look at mini jack tomorrow

porkchop48

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am heading out after work tomorrow to check out a mini jack and maybe a jenny too... But anyways, I am worried about feeding him.

I have read they can get over weight very quickly. He would be out in the pasture with my two steers ( 7 acres) and my goats, of course this is after being penned up for a while and introductions done. He will not just be turned out the minute he gets here. OD I need to worry about his weight with him having free range of the pasture?

Is there any certain mineral blocks that I need to put out for him? Or anything i need to pick up at TSC before he comes home? Halter? Can they wear a halter all the time?

fairview610

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Mini donkeys are awesome and not very hard to care for! They do have a tendency to get chubby, so they do not require alot of grain. I usually feed my little gelding maybe a cup just so he doesn't get jealous. My jenny is still nursing her little one so I give her a bit more and everyone gets few flakes of hay but that is because my pasture is not growing much due to the summer we have had here. When there is grass I dont feed them grain. I keep minerals or salts blocks out free choice for them. They can wear halters all the time but you must be careful because they can rub blisters on them. I usually take mine off when I am not working with them. When I first get them home I do leave there halters on until they are at ease with me and are not going to run away from me. My guys live in a pasture with my goats and mini horses with no problem.

GoatCrazyLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Good luck! I am hoping I can talk my husband into letting me get a mini donkey or horse next year. :~)

Verndawg

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I want a mini donkey as wel!!! I have three fainting goats 6 chickens, and two beagles right now. I told my husband that's all I wanted for Christmas is a donkey. I know he's not going to get me one tho. :(

Latest posts