Good Books for a Goat Newbie?

Turtle Rock Farm

Caprine Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for some good books for a brand new goat person that would cover things like feeding, housing, common issues, and similar topics. I looked online but I'm unsure as to the quality of them and I don't want to spend $20 on a dud. Does anyone have some good ones they'd recommend?

maritown

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have Storey's Guide to Dairy Goats and I remember loving it when I first got it forever ago. I have not cracked it open in a long time but if memory serves it goes over nutrition, disease, housing etc...though is probably lacking info on meat raising, obviously.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have Storey's Guide to Meat Goats and it has good general knowledge in it. It will give ya plenty of food for thought and introduce ya to terminology and things to watch for. The biggest issue that I had was it isn't regional specific....which it is understandable, but some things had me concerned needlessly....but, it is better to be overly concerned, than not at all. So, try to pick out the book that best relates to the breed or purpose of the animals you are planning on raising. We have pygmy/boer crosses which are both meat goats and have different requirements than the dairy breeds.....:)

KatyDaly

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Storey's Guide is our go-to book for goat info. They have both a Dairy and Meat Goat version. But you might enjoy this book as well, even if it is not really a manual, just a story about a guy who starts a dairy goat herd in Vermont. Goat Song, by Brad Kessler. It's a great read for someone just starting with goats, and it has the easiest and best "recipe" for making soft goat cheese. I have 2 other cheese books and I still go back to the Goat Song way of making it.