good organic breeds?

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
BDial said:
I have milked a Dexter before and I like their small size. I also know a few people around me who prefer the Highland cattle.
do you mean Scottish Highland cattle?

i absolutely adore those shaggy red Scottish Highlands, but i would think they would fry during our humid summers. maybe they are more adaptable than i think, though.
100 + degree heat doesn't even slow them down.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
kstaven, I would agree there would be regional differences in the breeds.For a long time Canadian Jerseys looked totally different than American Jerseys. Now AI has intermixed types very well. Very few Guernseys in this east coast area.
Linebacks are growing in popularity because of their easy registry acceptance and HIGH fertility rates. Many around here are crossbreeds. Local farmers are breeding Lineback as a last resort to settle the cows.

I am surprised there are not more Ayrshire homestead cows unless it is their general scarcity. Breed personality is not as docile as Jersey but hardiness is good. They are a very *natural* cow.
I wanted ayrshires at one point but never found them. Have some great jerseys that can forage well on just about anything that grows and produce well.

bibliophile birds

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
kstaven said:
100 + degree heat doesn't even slow them down.
i knew someone when i lived in Texas that had them, but it's a lot less humid there. it doesn't often get to 100 here, but we get ungodly humidity.

but if they are that tolerant.... uhoh, i might have too many breeds to choose from now! maybe i'll just get a few of each!

BDial

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Then of course there are the mini cows. LOL You can find a mini of almost any common large breed.
Yes I was talking about the Scottish Highland Cattle. Here in IN it gets humid but I don't know how it compares to your region. They don't seem to mind it.

kstaven... The dexters I met were calm and docile. Could it be the difference in regions or bloodlines?? Or I just met a few good ones. lol oh well The one I milked also gave a decent amount of milk. I wonder if they were breeding for the milk. Now you have me thinking.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The dexter issue is regional. I have seen a number of good ones in other regions. It is all too common with popular breeds to find pockets where people breed for quantity and forget about the characteristics of the breed.

crzychicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi I just started milking a rescued Dexter ..the milk is fabulous! white white naturally homogenized I didn't believe it until I seen it for myself I get about1/4 to 1/2 inch of cream on top every day it sits and also how much protein I feed her helps also.. she is 8 mos into lactation and I milk 1X day and get just about 1 gallon which is perfect for my family small cow although my dexter is a Medium 42-43 inches to her back,

ohwell

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My wife's aunt has 8 dexters and they have unbelievable temperments. The oldest male is nearing two years and I saw her eight year old boy jump on top and ride him. All the bull does is walk around in small circles. I'm not saying that's a good idea and in fact I'm very much against it (riding the bull) but I was amazed when I saw it. That's the first I've heard about dexters not having nice temperments. However I've talked to a few dairy farmers and the Jersey sure seems like it can be a real nasty peice of business,but I do know with a little TLC it can be first rate. Being from Canada I have to say if I could get one type of cow it would have to be a Canadienne. I just love the fact that it doesn't need forage that's great quality to produce a respectable amount of milk. I imagine it would be real hard to find in the US though. I also really like the Kerry.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ontario gets pretty humid and awful in the summer months and outside of a town near me is a herd of Scottish Highland cattle mowing down a hillside and valley every year and they do very well on the pasture in our heat. The use the old heritage apple trees for shade.

Rockey8Glonde

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Many organic farmers report switching breeds in conjunction with transitioning to organic. Older dairy breeds such as the Dexter, Dutch Belted and Ayrshire are gaining renewed interest among organic dairy people looking for traits like longevity, hardiness, thriftiness and willingness to graze. Organic pig farmers favor breeds that show good mothering characteristics, and often choose colored breeds for pasture-based systems

Stepbystep

Just born
Reaction score
Anyone doing organci beef cattle in texas?

What breed are you having success with?

thanks

Latest posts