Good Recipe for Fresh Chevre?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe for fresh chevre? One of my co-workers asked for me to make some and i have never made it...just other kinds of cheese lol.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have any cultures?

i do not have culture i need to order some i have rennet, citric acid, cheese salt..etc but no culture for chevre.

I always make mine with cultures from New England Cheesemaking. Their Chevre culture is good, a little tangy but my favorite is Ricki's Fromagina and second favorit is their Fromage Blanc.

But you can make it with buttermilk and rennet

http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/sheep/ansc442/Semprojs/2006/chevre/chevre.htm

i normally order from new england cheesemaking....ive just never made chevre with my goat milk only mozzarella, ricotta, paneer, etc. Simple faster cheeses. i love chevre though and my coworker wants some as i mentioned so i figured now is the time. The new Saanen we got is a milking machine she is giving over 2 quarts a day in one milking almost 4 months into lactation..on an FF :ep So i currently have almost 2 gallons of goat milk from her alone since Sunday evening.:weee

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chevre is really easy to make, and really good.

i do like it a lot but i have only ever bought it. i only started making cheese last year so im pretty new still. i make my own ricotta whenever i need it....the mozzarella isnt quite where i want it yet and im not a huge fan of paneer it seems. Once we get a cheese cave made i hope to try some aged cheese as well.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, leave it in the pot covered at room temp for 24 hours. When using the cultures it is about 12 hours.

I don't care for goat milk Moz. for the most part. Warm and fresh is ok but not stored. You can turn an old refrigerator into a cheese cave and a wine refrigerator works too. Some people put their cheese in a plastic box and use their regular refrigerator and then just control the humidity inside the little box. I have never tried that, but I have read about it.

You should make Feta. Fiasco Farms has a good recipe. Easy peasy, and Yogurt or Keifer.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
i've made butter and of course buttermilk, whipped cream, then the cheeses i mentioned. i also made this so so awesome delicious pork in milk omg it was soooo good i will definately make it anytime we have to much extra milk.

We love feta but i have been a bit scared to try it lol. i also had keifer i was not a huge fan of it honestly..i mean it was ok but just not something i used much.

i am thinking either my mozzarella isnt comming out right or i dont like goat mozzarella either lol.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feta is really pretty easy so you should try it. Ask away if you have any questions.

Keifer grains can all taste different so you need to find one you like. Again, I use one from New England cheese company. You can save some from the first batch to use as starter for the next batch but it can start to get a little "tangy" after a few batches. I just use fresh. I just drink it...like drinkable yogurt, or make smoothies out of it.

My moz. gets very chewy after it gets cool so I eat it very fresh. I make the 30 minute one but have also tried the others and I still don't care for it once it cools down.

I have also done farm house cheddar, cottage cheese, and gouda. But those were the days when I had nothing to do...in other words, milking 2 goats and not building a dairy.