google Ads are driving me nuts

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah. I became a GHM to help support the site and got the added bonus of no ads. It got very annoying when trying to read a post the page would be jumping everywhere. And it was everytime you went to the next page of posts to read. Thanks for the info.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just an update from my perspective. The boards usability has improved greatly since this thread began. If you made a change, it worked!
I use a laptop most of the time with a relatively large screen.
Here's what I was seeing before. The ads on the right side changed frequently both in content and size of height. As they cycled, they also caused the text portion of the board to move down, and instead of continuing to view the last post of a thread, you were now looking at a previous post and had to scroll back down to finish reading the last post.

It also was affecting the reply box. If making a lengthy reply, (or a reply in which a previous post had been quoted), when the ad changed, the reply box would move down the screen and I was suddenly viewing the top portion of my incomplete reply and the bottom portion of the last post. It didn't affect me much but I suspect it was much worse on a smaller display such as a phone, as I looked at the board on my wife's iPhone and quickly decided it was just too irritating.
Again, the functionality from what I am now seeing has improved a lot.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm glad my complaint helped you. It didn't do much for me. Still jumping up and down. Highly irritating.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This has started recently. Google ads pop up on the right side. I can x it off, but the next time I go to another page, here they come again. One of the ads is a long ad with no way to x it off. When I open a thread to read,the first comment box comes up. Then the page jumps up and down until another ad opens between the first and second comment.

I went to settings on my computer and put pop up blocker on high, but I am still assaulted by stupid unwanted ads that make the page jump up and down. No other site is doing this, only BYH. It is irritating me. @Sumi @Nifty

I am not a complainer, but this is driving me crazy. Make it go away!!! PLEASE!
You aren’t the only one noticing them. I used to be able to occasionally touch that side of my iPad and keep doing what I was doing. Now I’m taken to another site before I realize what has happened. It aggravating! I just downloaded an ad blocker. They are gone. I will become a GHM down the road.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just downloaded an ad blocker. They are gone.
That will work as well.
(You will notice soon tho, that there are some websites ...especially nationwide news sites..that will throw a splash screen up, asking you to disable your ad blocker or to whitelist them...which means to go into the ad blocker's options and make an exception for that particular website..........they need you, to be able to count as an impression)

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That will work as well.
(You will notice soon tho, that there are some websites ...especially nationwide news sites..that will throw a splash screen up, asking you to disable your ad blocker or to whitelist them...which means to go into the ad blocker's options and make an exception for that particular website..........they need you, to be able to count as an impression)
Good to know. Thank you.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm glad my complaint helped you. It didn't do much for me. Still jumping up and down. Highly irritating.
I see what you mean now.
One minute, while viewing a post or thread index, the right side of the page may look like this:

Then after a few seconds, the right side (and sometimes the whole page) suddenly shifts up or down, and looks like this:

I assume it is the software's way of forcing an ad view.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yup, that's what it does, plus it inserts ads in the middle of posts. If the ads would just stay off to the side, it wouldn't be so bad, but in the middle of the page, jumping up and down is annoying.

Latest posts