Got a climber. (Aw damn)

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use a short chain prudently - and must add, the one dog here who does jump, still jumped hauling a 30 pound chain, over my 6 ft fence, to go after a feral dog pack. So I think again, this is one of those "what works for one, might not for another" - which is why I seconded the hot wire, and advocated running the dogs together. I never keep chains on a dog, its always brief and temporary, to make them 'soak' and slow down, more than anything. I never support tire drags - or ridiculous "yokes". Inhumane and of no use. Well hopefully the OP comes back and clarifies for us :)

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah yes... Permanent chains would be a bad thing, sorry I didn't get that you only used them temporarily. I am hoping for clarification here also...

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Running in shifts suits my situation. 2-4 dogs work together depending on the pasture and flock size and composition. If you all have any additional advice about deterring climbing I would appreciate it.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the coyote population has increased, can you add another to the guardian pack? One with 2 legs and a rifle? Maybe decreasing that population will help.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good idea Neighbors have begun to notice and shoot. Here we both have away from farm jobs. Big ruckus w all dogs tonight but climber stayed put after defeating containment this a.m. I wish I could get into his head. I want him safe and working.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good idea Neighbors have begun to notice and shoot. Here we both have away from farm jobs. Big ruckus w all dogs tonight but climber stayed put after defeating containment this a.m. I wish I could get into his head. I want him safe and working.

May he thinks that is what he is doing? Not enough guards inside the fence so he hops the fence to chase the threat farther away? I dont have any LGD experience so thats just a guess.

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Misfitmorgan for someone with no LGD experience, this is a very experienced and astute observation on your part that shows great understanding.
Unfortunately farming is never part time. Because people leave for outside jobs and leave stock and situations unattended, that is usually when the problems start or increase.
I have a part time night job. I set things up when I leave, to reduce chances of issues and loss and have had none to date.
If predators are heavy sheep and cattle go into the barns for the night even with my good fencing and many dogs. I still set it up to lessen stress on dogs and stock.
Dogs are just one option. There are so many methods out there to be used. Here is a link to some more.
People and Carnivores
Personally, I don't get stuck on "it has to be like this". I stay open to trying options until I find what works.
In Nevada we have a saying, if you shoot one coyote, three come to it's funeral.
I think several people here gave you some very practical ideas and options to consider. Good luck.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Misfitmorgan for someone with no LGD experience, this is a very experienced and astute observation on your part that shows great understanding.
Unfortunately farming is never part time. Because people leave for outside jobs and leave stock and situations unattended, that is usually when the problems start or increase.
I have a part time night job. I set things up when I leave, to reduce chances of issues and loss and have had none to date.
If predators are heavy sheep and cattle go into the barns for the night even with my good fencing and many dogs. I still set it up to lessen stress on dogs and stock.
Dogs are just one option. There are so many methods out there to be used. Here is a link to some more.
People and Carnivores
Personally, I don't get stuck on "it has to be like this". I stay open to trying options until I find what works.
In Nevada we have a saying, if you shoot one coyote, three come to it's funeral.
I think several people here gave you some very practical ideas and options to consider. Good luck.

I've owned and trained dogs my whole life so i understand a lot about them just never had an LGD and im told they are a whole different critter.