Got another prospective trio I am looking at. Opinions please!

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I have been doing a bit of research and think I may want to focus on a Heritage breed that needs help. I found someone who has pedigreed American Chinchilla rabbits from pretty reputable local lines. They are proven. The two does are related, but unrelated to the buck. They are 2 years old (does) and 3 years old (buck). She said they have been selected for meat, and she gets carcasses dressed at 3-4lbs at 10-12 weeks. Is this a reasonable thing to claim? She is asking 200 for the trio. Is that reasonable for these kind of rabbits?

TIA for your help!

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are 2 years old (does) and 3 years old (buck). She said they have been selected for meat, and she gets carcasses dressed at 3-4lbs at 10-12 weeks. Is this a reasonable thing to claim? She is asking 200 for the trio. Is that reasonable for these kind of rabbits?
Buck
20210308_150935.jpg

20210308_150917.jpg

Doe #1
20210308_151159.jpg

20210308_151002.jpg

Doe #2
20210308_151027.jpg

@Fishychix @Beekissed @Larsen Poultry Ranch @rachels.haven @Ffagirl22 @Jesusfreak101

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does the seller have records for these does and possibly their dams? They are 2 years old? Have they been bred before? Are you purchasing them bred or open? I usually breed my rabbits by 8 months or 8 pounds, whichever comes sooner. Records for the buck? Why is she selling this trio specifically?

They look like chunky buns, but that seems like a lot of money for their age, but I don't know what the going rates are in your area. If the kits dress out at 3-4 pounds in 10-12 weeks, that sounds good, not the best though. Best would be that weight by 8-10 weeks. Would be something to improve on.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does the seller have records for these does and possibly their dams? They are 2 years old? Have they been bred before? Are you purchasing them bred or open? I usually breed my rabbits by 8 months or 8 pounds, whichever comes sooner. Records for the buck? Why is she selling this trio specifically?

They look like chunky buns, but that seems like a lot of money for their age, but I don't know what the going rates are in your area. If the kits dress out at 3-4 pounds in 10-12 weeks, that sounds good, not the best though. Best would be that weight by 8-10 weeks. Would be something to improve on.
They are fully pedigreed, so I assume she has records of the dams. She said they have been bred to each other once last year. The does are 2 and the buck is 3 y/o.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are fully pedigreed, so I assume she has records of the dams. She said they have been bred to each other once last year. The does are 2 and the buck is 3 y/o.
These are for meat and they have only been bred once? Total? At age 2 now?? That seems wrong. I would think at least 2-3 litters by now. Did she show them? That could delay breeding but that seems really weird.

Or maybe I'm remembering mine wrong. Let me check my notes on my herd and get back to you later tonight on that.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
These are for meat and they have only been bred once? Total? At age 2 now?? That seems wrong. I would think at least 2-3 litters by now. Did she show them? That could delay breeding but that seems really weird.

Or maybe I'm remembering mine wrong. Let me check my notes on my herd and get back to you later tonight on that.
Good catch. I just asked her why that was and also asked for weights of the dams from the pedigrees.

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That is a big rip off before a rabbit gets sent for slaughter they have 3 to 4 litters before death all our rabbits that go to slaughter for meat after showing have had 3 to 4 litters after showing then sent off for us to eat after so I would say reasonable price if they never bred and they are young but other than that it’s a rip off if she’s not willing to give parents information or their weight what not I would not consider buying her rabbits and aswell don’t know what she could do before send some people will vaccinate their rabbits before sending it’s happened a couple times to us and we couldn’t eat the meat cause it had vaccinations all over it.
um, what? Try some punctuation!

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So if you are buying young rabbits that are young and have never had baby’s it’s a bad deal. I would get if they have been in show and got hold back for breeding but they still should have at least had 1 or 2 sets of babies if you are buying them. They are 2 years correct and the buck is 3, the 2 females should have at least had one set of kids so far. I say $200 i would get if they are young, have had no babies. What i was saying is try to get the parents papers or the bunnies papers for your safety so that you dont get ripped off like i did if you buying those rabbits.