Got chicken-fried steak?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's pretty basic.

But there are 2 ways to do CFS. Crispy outside or......... softer outside?... crunchy or not so crunchy? and it depends in what order you do the breading process. Wet-dry-wet or dry-wet-dry?
Dragging the steak thru Milk/egg, then into flour, then back to milk/egg=Crunchy.
Putting it into flour first, then into milk/egg and back thru flour=Not so Crunchy

Pat the steak dry BEFORE you start the seasoning & breading process. A damp steak will result in the moisture turning to steam almost as soon as it hits the hot oil and cause the breading to expand and maybe even coming off in the pan. Breading a damp steak is also why you so often get one in a restaurant that looks huge on the plate, but you quickly find the breading is about 1/4 again as large as the meat is.

Crunchy:

The chuckwagon cook has it down pretty close to what I do except I just use a generic brisket rub whereas he uses some proprietary seasoning he is pimping--his own I assume.

Last edited:

Granny Heeney

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thinking the not-crunchy is the way to go for us, since teeth are a commodity around here. LOL!

Also, ya just answered why the breading falls off my chicken! Argh! 10 yrs ago I gave up and started baking it. ;) Thanks! Going to try it again...pretty pathetic living this far south and can't manage some decent fried chicken. ;)

Latest posts