Got my first goats and now a complaining neighbor

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd build a pig pen on her side, minus the set back. Actually, the set back is for BUILDINGS. it says nothing about animals in the set back. So.....(if allowed) build the shelter for the pigs consistent with the set back, and their pen right up to the fence.

If pigs are not allowed, then get guineas and geese. Put their coop as per allowed on the set back and run them right up to the fence.

I really can't stand people like that.

Do not respond to any more texts. She may be fishing for something in print to hang you with. If she texts again, respond with an invitation for her to join you for coffee and cookies.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, guineas. I understand they can make quite a racket.

And maybe you can start a puppy mill as well, minimum 10 breeders. Nothing like a bunch of yappy puppies to keep the peace.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can hear my neighbors dogs barking, they are well over 1500 feet away.
Idk why anyone would want animals close to the house, I wish my barn and dogs were further away. The noise drives me nuts. Then there is the smell and flies.

Either way, if you are within the law, stop talking to her and move on with your life.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The hedge is a good idea. Pampas grass or something junipery you can trim or let grow. Maybe you can agree on something that benefits both properties somehow. (If you can keep the goats from eating or climbing it). Try to keep a “this too shall pass” mindset. Good luck.

Anthony Sr.

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
As my wife says "Build a Bridge", so maybe that would be some good advice to your neighbor. I live in the country now and my Goats have calmed down on the crying at night, and they're only about 30' from my (closed)window... Oh by the way, I just got a Nigerian Dwarf, and he WAS crying a lot till he got used to his new home.

Silky ma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses! I got a good laugh! Im trying to be the bigger gal here and not escallate this. Hubby bought a roll out privacy- screening? It has helped
To quiet the girls down! What she doesnt know is - as if last weekend i have my two bucks and a nubian and this weekend i pick up another doe nubian. I have been feeding and watering and saying hi in the mornings
Only do the 3 gals can get use to eachother- there was qiute a bit of head butting from the nigerians against the nubian. By staying out of it they have formed a truce. I peek in on them every hour using binoculars and they are eating and resting together.
As of today when i leave they no longer cry and scream - you left us-! They take my leaving in stride and gather for their love snd combing esch morning. After i add the second nubian this weekend i will gradually add more time with them. I definately wont keep the same schedule time each day- varying the time keeps them calmer.
So far so good! She has texted me but it has Been positive and about a fox she saw and a deer with two new fawns. I did answer nice pics and thanks for the heads up on the fox. A few nights a deer lost her fawn - 3:49 am-50 feet from our window to what i believe was a mountain lion so i let her and my closest neighbors know to be carefull.

Silky ma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Honestly? I think your responses might make the situation worse. I know the righteous indignation that makes me want to be snarky in my responses...I used to have a similar (awful) back and forth with my sister. It took years for us to mend the rift our (written) words caused.

Personally, I would write up a letter (not a text) listing the laws and how you are in accordance. Maybe subtly remind her that her barn is not the required feet away. But keep it brief and matter-of-fact. Don't bring up any personal issues. Mail her the letter certified, so you have proof she got it.
Make sure to make a copy of the letter for yourself. Then if any legal issues come up, she can't say you didn't "talk" to her.

Sound ordinance is tricky. It could come down to her word against yours. I'm wondering if it would be possible to put a recording device near the area she is complaining about so you can tell if she can really hear the goats? Or maybe a baby monitor that you can record as "proof" that the goats are quiet?

Has she responded since you texted back?
Totally l blew off my response

Silky ma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
100 feet of privacy screen zip tied to enclosure fencing

Attachments

• 0E96D280-5E61-4FFC-9867-80FF1D7AEEA4.jpeg
    0E96D280-5E61-4FFC-9867-80FF1D7AEEA4.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 0BDD834E-E2A5-448D-BE28-210C689F7A78.jpeg
    0BDD834E-E2A5-448D-BE28-210C689F7A78.jpeg
    609.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 61E07B40-7486-4A94-B568-7FDCE29B1B3A.jpeg
    61E07B40-7486-4A94-B568-7FDCE29B1B3A.jpeg
    492.6 KB · Views: 111

Silky ma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hubby and i talked and wonder if she isnt bipolar- she swings from one emotion to another so fast it leaves you baffled!