Got my hens!

HeidiO

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
20150812_161232-1.jpg
20150812_161320-1.jpg
I finally got 2 black silkie hens and a couple heinz 57 chicks. They were from my mom's, but were getting picked on. They are silkie mixed with who knows what. The hens are Dizzy (I nursed her back to health from a vit deficiency as a chick), and Penny. The red chick is Bernadette, and the black and gold is Rocky. Any ideas what is up with the red chicks feathers? Also got a coop with them, so we are set. I put my black rooster in with them and he was being an ass, so no more chances for him.

Last edited:

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your red girl is a frizzle :) She has the gene for her feathers to grow like that. It looks like like she is a frizzle cochin/silkie cross.

You can do a google search for frizzle chickens and you will get lots of pics of other frizzles.

I will warn you though, the frizzle gene can go to the brain :hide Just kidding, but in all honesty all the frizzles we have had were crazy and acted like a spaz LOL.

HeidiO

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
O cool, Thanks so much, I wasn't sure if it was just her feathers growing in or genetic. She is kind of freaky, but hopefully she'll calm.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
looks like a frizzle to me too. they are to cute. I've never had silkys or frizzles either one.

HeidiO

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I grew up with chickens, but didn't have my own till this summer. I love them.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is so much fun, there are eggs and much more, I can be your answer for any chicken questions, but the basic things, that you SHOULD do, not that I do, are: clean their coop weekly, and check for eggs daily. I have bad habits, but I am a 4H poultry show person, and am holding the 2015 Intermediate Poultry Showmanship Champion for arapahoe county

Lilythefarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It is so much fun, there are eggs and much more, I can be your answer for any chicken questions, but the basic things, that you SHOULD do, not that I do, are: clean their coop weekly, and check for eggs daily. I have bad habits, but I am a 4H poultry show person, and am holding the 2015 Intermediate Poultry Showmanship Champion for arapahoe county

Cool! Thanks for telling me that

HeidiO

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
20150813_114249.jpg
Finally got a pic of the hens.