Got our Yorshire piglets today!

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The newest addition of 4 Yorshire piglets have made their way to the farm. 2 male and 2 female. Within a 1/2 hour they had already begun to learn the electric fence and had rooted up to their eyeballs. Praying that they stay where they are suppossed to and are still there when I get home from work.

As these are our first pigs. Is there anything that you can give them to keep them entertained or is rooting, eating and sleeping enough for them?

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Yes more food lol
Nearly all will root and even more so in small areas. Our Hamps (gone now) were really bad - whats your set up there

Welcome to pig paradise and hope it all works out for you :cool:

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Currently, their pen is 12x24 hog panels with electric fence inside about 4-5 inches off the ground about 2 inches away from the panels. We have a temporary little hut for them to take shelter in. But plan to make a larger one. Unfortunately, the To-Do list is Too-Long and we ran out of time before we got them. If need be, we can add another 12 ft panel on each end to make it 24x24 without too much trouble. For that matter, we can add alot of panels without too much trouble, just more $$. :lol:

I hope it works too! Thanks for the encouragement. It sure is looking, sounding and smelling more like a farm every day! :lol:

Godsgrl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've seen people give pigs bowling balls (or was it basketballs? Can't remember) to push around the pen. We'd love some pictures, by the way. :caf

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here are the little fellas. They are so homely, they are cute. One is noticably smaller than the others. He walks around squeeking. I assume he is younger then the rest? He is a bit skittish. Two of them let us scratch them and seemed pretty friendly. And the last one, is a bit agressive. He has a scar on his face. I don't know if he got the scrape because he is agressive or if he is agressive because he got the scrape. They came up in a truck load of about 200 from PA so I am sure it was a rough ride. Time will tell.

All in all, they seem to be doing very well. They made a cute little nest out of hay last night and even though it poured out. All were cozy and dry this morning all piled up in the nest.

And to make a correction; their pen is 16 x 32. My bad!

4090_piglets_1.jpg

4090_piglets_2.jpg

4090_piglests_3.jpg

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If they look like they are getting bored I will entertain the thought of a ball certainly. What ever works to keep them happy!

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Erin,

Thank you for that! I see that you have Yorkshire show hogs. Any advice or comments you have to offer would be greatly appreciated! This is a whole new world for us. :D

P.S. Erin; they have only little stubs for tails. Have they been docked or is that how the Yorkshire grows? Thanks!