Got our Yorshire piglets today!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Wait wait wait...you're saying your loin bacon is better than streaky bacon? :th I'm skeptical!! :p I'd love to try it though.

Ok, so wikipedia says back bacon is sold in the US as Canadian bacon...but is our "Canadian bacon" actually back bacon or just ham?

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Wait wait wait...you're saying your loin bacon is better than streaky bacon? :th I'm skeptical!! :p I'd love to try it though.

Ok, so wikipedia says back bacon is sold in the US as Canadian bacon...but is our "Canadian bacon" actually back bacon or just ham?
In the US canadian bacon is back bacon, in canada back bacon is back bacon... in the UK our bacon is rashers....

SEE!

http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2010...s-and-how-to-make-proper-british-rashers.html

Cornish... repeat after me - "there is NEVER enough bacon"

I do one half of the pig with rashers and the other with the streaky bacon because we wouldn't want to waste the rashers on outsiders... we even had a friend that said the prefer the streaky bacon... WHAT! :smack We disowned them.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The boss just said he talked to the butcher. The pig dressed out at 233. I like it!

Thanks for the intro to "other" bacons. As we are butchering ourselves, perhaps we can investigate. Of course as the farmer was a meat cutter, he may already know about it and I just don't know that he knows......hmmmmmm. ;)

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
LOL! That's a great article - going to share that on my blog later. Talk about making me drool too! I had forgotten about eating bacon with the skin on when I was a kid. It was only later that it was offered skinless which was IMO much better & how we do it now. Of course the skinless was more expensive.

As to the question about Canadian bacon, really that is NOT Back Bacon IMO as it is SO small & looks nothing like Back Bacon as you can see from the article. Also I think sometimes it is "formed" meat & not sliced. Give me real back bacon any day :)

Got two big sows to butcher this week & yes the bacon will be brining :)

BTW Back Bacon is easy to make, just have to debone it. A sharp knife & patience is a good thing.

As to cooking it, we ALWAYS fried it when I was a kid but do tend to grill(broil) it now as we would need a mighty big frying pan to fry up 2lbs of bacon!

Liz

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This Saturdays pig butchering went well. It was an all day project for the 3 pigs. Started at 7am roughly and ended at 6pm. Took a break for lunch, but other then that, work, work, work.

The two largest pigs were in the 280's and the smallest of the three in the 230's. We were very happy with that.

4090_big_piggie_weight_0812.jpg

We made up the sausage last night and although I didn't have any. Hubby said the maple was exceptional and the garlic was pretty delish too. It' smelled good while it was cooking.

We'll definately do it again next year! Thanks pigs, you had a great pig life and we will be thankful every time we have a nice meal of home grown pork. :D

4090_big_piggie_waiting_0812.jpg

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cornish Heritage said:
LOL! That's a great article - going to share that on my blog later. Talk about making me drool too! I had forgotten about eating bacon with the skin on when I was a kid. It was only later that it was offered skinless which was IMO much better & how we do it now. Of course the skinless was more expensive.

As to the question about Canadian bacon, really that is NOT Back Bacon IMO as it is SO small & looks nothing like Back Bacon as you can see from the article. Also I think sometimes it is "formed" meat & not sliced. Give me real back bacon any day :)

Got two big sows to butcher this week & yes the bacon will be brining :)

BTW Back Bacon is easy to make, just have to debone it. A sharp knife & patience is a good thing.

As to cooking it, we ALWAYS fried it when I was a kid but do tend to grill(broil) it now as we would need a mighty big frying pan to fry up 2lbs of bacon!

Liz
Liz, do you remember the bacon that came in a tin from Marks & Spensers (though I am sure others sold it)... tried to find it recently but couldn't find it!

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have some of the pigs hanging, being washed off and being skinned, but they might be a bit grotesque (sp) for some.

This one is safe though...

4090_jesse_and_dennis_wrapping_0812.jpg

Actually, you have to look real hard to see any pork.