Got our Yorshire piglets today!

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Great job! Hope you enjoy all that pork :) We have to start cutting ours up tomorrow. We had to butcher another one last night but she can stay in the cooler for another week but the one from last week needs to get processed. Our freezers are full right now (no complaints) so going to try canning the sausage this time. Will season & cook it up first & of course it has to be pressure canned not put in a hot water bath. The bacon will brine for another 7 days by which time we should have room for it in the freezer.

Liz, do you remember the bacon that came in a tin from Marks & Spencers (though I am sure others sold it)... tried to find it recently but couldn't find it!
Sorry I don't! There were a few things we bought from there but money was pretty tight so their prices were a little high for us. I can remember their Jersey milk - Richard always used to love the cream on top. Of course we now have our own Jersey cream whenever we want it. Gosh how life has changed! They used to do a really good chestnut & sausage stuffing (dressing) too but y'know back then I didn't read food labels very much so probably wouldn't eat it now!

Liz

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sounds like you have some full days ahead of you Liz. And yes...full freezers are good! We have all kinds of people asking us, "what are you going to do with all that meat?" (aka, "Can we have some?") I simply reply, "eat it!" Reminds me of the "Little Ren Hen" story. :D

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have all kinds of people asking us, "what are you going to do with all that meat?" (aka, "Can we have some?") I simply reply, "eat it!" Reminds me of the "Little Ren Hen" story. big_smile
LOL! Yes on Saturday we did two Farm Tours for folks picking up their pigs & then started making sausage!

Got to do it all again on Thursday but it will be good.

Liz

Dean.Collins

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
I have some of the pigs hanging, being washed off and being skinned, but they might be a bit grotesque (sp) for some.
These are the photos that you should be showing. Anyone who is visiting here is able to accept that pigs are where bacon comes from.

I'd really like to see a series of processing shots so i can see how you butchered your pigs end to end.