Got pigs!--Hiding this morning :D

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have been looking for two feeder pigs. It seems they are hard to come by this year. A farm about 5 miles from here had a sign out with some for sale. They were all gone but, I was told they would have more in a couple of weeks. The call came tonight that they have some ready. I will be picking up 2 gilts on Wednesday! :drool

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Pigs?

Ok I love all critters, but I won't have pigs!
(watch Hubby want one now)
The only experience I ever had with pigs were the ones I agreed to care for while the owner was out of town. I went into the pen to feed them, just like I had seen her do a million times!
And the little buggers tried to eat me!
Threw the buckets at them and left! Good thing she was do back soon, cause I was NOT going back in there!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:lol:

The neighbor's I worked for had raised pigs one summer and then DH's brother raised pigs a couple of times. I was friends with their daughter and over there frequently so, I fed them there too.

DH's family had the dairy farm but, they also had pigs and chickens.

We used to have one guy we bought a pig from. He hauled it in to be butchered and I picked it up in the packages. But, he did it on the side and worked out during the day. It became impossible to get a hold of him so no more pigs. So many around here feed their pigs garbage and the flavor is different. So, now we will have two to raise. We were going to last year but, DH never got around to finding a couple of feeder pigs.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Mmmm, delicious! :drool
We do 6 every year, 3 for us (6 people live here) and 3 to sell. Makes it worth it, sellng those 3..... and boy, after eating home raised pork, you will never go back to supermarket pork again. Pretty much the same as beef/chicken. just doesnt taste the same, and you have to worry about antibiotics, disease, etc.

Kitty, do you keep a garden? we give ours garden scraps and pelleted feed. Plain and simple, no meat or rotten stuff.

Good luck with them, it will be fun (in the end, when your eating a delicious pork chop!)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I haven't bought pork in the grocery store in years. Even after we couldn't get one from that guy anymore. I would stop by the butcher shop and buy some. They are fussy who they buy from so it's usually good meat. But, it will be nice to have our own in the freezer!

Yes, I keep a garden. Can/freeze a lot from it too! ;)

Thank you. I bet it doesn't take long to brush up on the old pig feeding. :)

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of pork, I cooked a pork roast for Hubby not long ago, it was from a friend. Hubby said it was real good! Just smelling it brought back memories of morning sickness! I had a P and J for dinner that night!
We have another friend that raises a few every year, I don't know what he feeds them, but he uses his own mix of sausage spices! That's some good stuff!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So many here tend to feed whey. It doesn't make good pork, IMO.

I don't have to worry about what to put into their feed. I just tell the feed man I need it and he makes it and brings it home with him. :D

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was able to pick them up tonight instead of tomorrow!

Here's Pork Chop and Ham
PorkchopandHam.jpg