Gracie Again, newest challenge

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a neutered heeler that wouldn't stay home. He had a one acre chainlink fenced yard to be in and lots of attention, but couldn't resist visiting around the neighborhood and bringing home bowls of cat food. He was in the back of my truck when I was getting gas one time and a lady asked if that was my dog. I wasn't sure I wanted to admit it, but he was in the back of my truck.
She went on to tell me how he would sit on her back porch and she would give him her refrigerator leftovers. She thought he was so cute, and I thought, well, no wonder the chowderhead doesn't stay home.
Anyway we finally curbed his wandering by attaching a 5 gallon bucket on a short rope to his collar. He couldn't go under, and he couldn't (or wouldn't ) climb over.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had a neutered heeler that wouldn't stay home. He had a one acre chainlink fenced yard to be in and lots of attention, but couldn't resist visiting around the neighborhood and bringing home bowls of cat food. He was in the back of my truck when I was getting gas one time and a lady asked if that was my dog. I wasn't sure I wanted to admit it, but he was in the back of my truck.
She went on to tell me how he would sit on her back porch and she would give him her refrigerator leftovers. She thought he was so cute, and I thought, well, no wonder the chowderhead doesn't stay home.
Anyway we finally curbed his wandering by attaching a 5 gallon bucket on a short rope to his collar. He couldn't go under, and he couldn't (or wouldn't ) climb over.
My DH loved the idea of attaching something to her collar like an engine block. Yep last night, she got out and a kind stranger rang our bell to see if the dog sprawled out in the front yard belonged to us. My first thought is oh no, what has she done. But he just wanted to make sure she didn’t go in the road. I’m afraid it is going to be trial and error to figure out where all her escape routes are.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
So did you call him bucket head after that?

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So did you call him bucket head after that?
I thought About connecting Gracie and Fitz with a short chain, a rope would be an appetizer. Fitz may feel like he is being punished.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thistle, I love that bucket idea! Greg Judy attaches a piece of construction tire side wall on his runner pups' collars by a short chain. Keeps them from going through the electric fence wires. Says it doesn't take long to train them to stay IN.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I attached a gallon stainless steel bucket to Gracie’s collar with a carabiner. She is in shock.

Attachments

• 79BA91EC-FCFB-4A72-89FD-25EBEDE43F8B.jpeg
    79BA91EC-FCFB-4A72-89FD-25EBEDE43F8B.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 338
  • 24DF8334-BD64-4390-8BEC-6E90EA361171.jpeg
    24DF8334-BD64-4390-8BEC-6E90EA361171.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 337

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, i thought I was pretty smug. Shouldn’t have been. Somehow she got the bucket off, collar was in perfect shape bucket as well. She got out again. I finally got her back in the pouring rain. It seems like she has made friends with a dog up the hill. I looked like a criminal in the pouring rain walking between 2 people’s houses with my hood on and my flashlight. When I get to her, she looks at me like I treat her terribly. Up until this point, I hadn’t even yelled at her. I’m at a loss as what to do. I have to wait until Herb gets back in town to get the rest of the fence up.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tethering works. Gives her a way of being in the guard area but not being able to access a fence or go anywhere. You need electric containment that is juiced up....wayyyyyy up.