Gracie is about to burst

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Mama should do most of the work, but I'd suggest dipping the cords in iodine and disposing of the placenta yourself.. Some folks advocate letting mama eat it, but...a) just thinking about it is gross, and b) you don't want her choking on it.

Make sure the babies get up to nurse, and that mama stands for it. If she runs off or acts weird, I'd first try tying her up and shoving the teat in the kids' mouths.

I mean...once they're on the ground, the worst case scenario is that mama doesn't take them so you have to milk and bottle feed. I dunno if you've ever bottlefed a kid goat, but it can be a PITA depending on your mindset.. On the other hand, all goat owners must bottle feed at least once in their goat-owning career. Pretty sure that's state law. :gig

Seriously, though...with goats, it's really not a matter of if you bottlefeed, but when, and how many at a time. :lol:

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the input:)
Well thankfully I have had boys(human ) so feeding a crazy hungry beast will be a snap. I am most worried about the umbilical cords. Do they break off or does she chew them off? All the videos I see is people pulling them out and rubbing them and then it cuts to a nice fluffy goat.
Since I am going to be having goats for the rest of my life I just want to be prepared in case she decides ohh well ya know I really don't like my babies.
I have a cochin hen who is the LEAST bit concered about going broody and hates baby chicks.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
crazy4cochins said:
I am most worried about the umbilical cords. Do they break off or does she chew them off? All the videos I see is people pulling them out and rubbing them and then it cuts to a nice fluffy goat.
If the umbie is your biggest worry, you're in good shape. :thumbsup

Most of the time, they break on their own. If not, you can sorta pinch them apart or pull a bit and break them. Don't cut, though...cutting could sever them a bit too cleanly and make clotting difficult, which could be a problem for mama.

Even that's pretty far fetched, though..

Usually what I've seen happen is that the doe has the kid, then turns to check on it.. As she turns, the little fragile cord breaks and everything's fine.

Just like you'll be...fine. :D

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The first goat I ever had delivered while I was out getting something important for the birth event... she must of waited til I was gone because she knew i was too nervous. Since then I check on them but let them do whet they have done to thousands of years. They do fine without us.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I've had a cord or two that were left 'too long' and the kid would step on them.
That's the only time I've ever had to mess with the cord, other than the initial iodine dip.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I've had a cord or two that were left 'too long' and the kid would step on them.
That's the only time I've ever had to mess with the cord, other than the initial iodine dip.
Sooooo.....what did you do?
:pop

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I tied the cord 2" away from the belly w/ floss, and then cut it w/a dull knife.

But again, that's only if it's so long its dragging the ground or causing a problem. 99.9% of the time, dipping it's all I've done, nature does the rest.

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
good to know, I feel comfortable about the other parts of the process, I am not new to owning animals. I have seen plenty be born but the goats live outside in a dirty barn .
I feel soo bad for her she's so fat thta she looks like she's sqautting down all the time. But she must not be too ready last night she was running around with her Buddy lilly and pretending to head butt her.lol
It's funny to see a fat round sausage up on her back feet :)
She even let me pet her a little more good news. Ok so I had to bribe her with some boss but whatever works right.
Lets hope they are two babys in there.
Waiting is soo not my thing lol.
Since I took her to the vet in July 23rd, he said the baby hadn't calcified yet so I may have to wait a few more days after the 23rd.
I know she's getting close because of her rear drooping down so much.I need some good " G" names. Isn't that what you do ,you take the moms first inital and do it that way? That's what some dairy farmer told me he does to keep track.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING, eat more pie :)

Latest posts