Gracie, oh my...

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What a week. Battling coccidia with my chickens and it’s time to address a Gracie issue. Gracie can’t stay in the chicken backyard because of the creek. She uses the creek as a means to go to the farm behind us, they have a legit garden plus it could be a means for her to escape and get into the road or who knows what else. I’ve had to start taking her over on the leash or she escapes me.

While she is in the main backyard, she has begun chewing on things... patio chairs, planter boxes, moldings, a garage door. I’m not sure what to do. I guess I could rent her out to a tree company and they could let her chip trees. I haven’t kept her pent up because I just hate that thought. If that’s what needs to happen, we will. I bought her lots of toys so she would have something to chew on but I guess they aren’t as good as wood.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
#1 thing is to build a secure fence to keep her where she should be. She might need more to do than guard chickens. Maybe a couple of goat or sheep wethers.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
She needs a job that utilizes her time and developing skill.
I haven't been on much and haven't really read the thread of when you got her or what she guards etc. Sounds like you got her for poultry and property is not fenced adequately.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
#1 thing is to build a secure fence to keep her where she should be. She might need more to do than guard chickens. Maybe a couple of goat or sheep wethers.
Alright @Baymule, let me get this straight. I need to tell my hubby that we need to get some goats to keep the dog that we got for the chickens busy. Am I understanding? If so, do you have room for 1 woman and LGD with a chewing problem, lol.

I’m just joking. I understand what you are talking about. I was hoping her having an entire yard would be good. I guess she needs a LGD sized ‘crate’ to prevent destructive behavior. I’ve considered goats but don’t know enough about them. The only thing I feel like I know is that they need to be de horned and I’m not sure if that is correct terminology. We have young grandkids that I wouldn’t want hurt. If you think y’all could give me step by step instructions, I’d be game. I’ve always loved animals.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She needs a job that utilizes her time and developing skill.
I haven't been on much and haven't really read the thread of when you got her or what she guards etc. Sounds like you got her for poultry and property is not fenced adequately.
It’s fenced but has a creek that runs through it. We are currently trying to figure out how to fence the creek part so she can play in the creek but not get off our property. The back is fenced in 3 separate paddocks. The Center one doesn’t have the creek which is where she spends the majority of her time. The chickens are in a separate paddock. I’m very open to suggestions.

Can you recommend jobs that she could do?

She is the sweetest dog.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess she needs a LGD sized ‘crate’ to prevent destructive behavior.
:thAbsolutely not. You got an LGD not a household pet.
She needs to work as in being a livestock guardian dog. Generally they are utilized for livestock. I know some use for poultry but they really are livestock guardians.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:thAbsolutely not. You got an LGD not a household pet.
She needs to work as in being a livestock guardian dog. Generally they are utilized for livestock. I know some use for poultry but they really are livestock guardians.
I don’t mean an actual crate just an area that she’s more contained. I want to do right by her. I just need to learn also.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You could buy a sufficient sized diameter plastic culvert pipe for the creek to run through and build up around the culvert with dirt to allow adequate fencing. That way the water can run through but Gracie can't. You can drive some rebar into the creek bed in front of the pipe if the diameter is to large to keep her in.