1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Grading system for replacements & culling

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Sheep' started by ohiogoatgirl, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Feb 2, 2019
    ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl True BYH Addict

I was watching some webinars and came across trait performance ratio.
    Indv performance
    -------------------------------------------- x100
    Avg performance of group

Example..
    45lb
    ----------- x100 = 108%
    41.7lb

So that lamb did 8% over the average. And you can do it for any measurable trait.

Then later they talked about the EBVs and all the different systems used to determine how good a sheep is against the group average.

So that got me thinking about writing down a sort of score card for picking replacements and culling decisions. I'd like to know what you think and what kind of systems you use for these decisions.

*Litter size 20
    *Weaning weight 20
    *ADG (birth to wean & wean to market time) 20
    *rams- scrotal size. ewes- teat placement and extra teats. 20
    *Fleece weight 10
    *staple length 5
    *wool cover of face/legs 5

My reasoning...
    *Litter size isn't that high of heritability but selecting for it won't hurt. 2018 my lambing was 140%. Not terrible but not fantastic.
    *Weaning weight is a good representative of the mom's milkability and mothering. Milk yeild is 30% heritable. As well as selecting quick growing lambs.
    *Avg daily gain will show who is better at turning food into gain. Weaning to market time represents on the indv lambs genetics for growth.
    *Rams with higher scrotal size have higher fertility and produce ewes with higher fertility. Extra teats.
    Teat size is 20% heritable, teat placement is 25% heritable. Extra teats can be problematic for newborn lambs. Several of my sheep have extra teats and I'd like to nip that trait right off.
    *Grease fleece weight is 35% heritable. Fleece yeild is 40% heritable. CV of fiber is 50% heritable.
    *Staple length is 55% heritable. If having yarn milled it's important to have fiber that is within an inch staple length to prevent issues.
    *Wool cover of face is 56% heritable.

mysunwolf likes this.