Grain for Dorper Ram

deb8950

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm new to the group I live in Missouri, we have 10 acres with heifers and calves, I purchased a year old Dorper Ram for breeding, he developed Bottle Jaw, the vet wants me to feed alfalfa with grain. The only grain that I can find ADM 12% 50/50 super stock I'm at a lost what to feed him. Any suggestions please

Debbie

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm new to the group I live in Missouri, we have 10 acres with heifers and calves, I purchased a year old Dorper Ram for breeding, he developed Bottle Jaw, the vet wants me to feed alfalfa with grain. The only grain that I can find ADM 12% 50/50 super stock I'm at a lost what to feed him. Any suggestions please

Debbie

Try alfalfa and oats....helps to presoak if using alfalfa pellets or cubes prior to feeding to avoid choke. Hair sheep do well on grass based feeding systems alone if you want to move away from feeding grain, so if you have good pasture you could just go with that. Greg Judy lives in MO and is a wealth of information on pasture based cattle and sheep, you can find him on YT.

deb8950

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Try alfalfa and oats....helps to presoak if using alfalfa pellets or cubes prior to feeding to avoid choke. Hair sheep do well on grass based feeding systems alone if you want to move away from feeding grain, so if you have good pasture you could just go with that. Greg Judy lives in MO and is a wealth of information on pasture based cattle and sheep, you can find him on YT.
Thank you